Gaming 2021

Yeah, birds of Death Stranding had me, like, I don’t know if a Silent Hill game could withstand a two hour long cutscene

The spirits tormenting him would have been a heavy handed metaphor for how Konami were treating him :grinning:

1 Like

Misread this as an announcement of RE4 Super HD ports for the Series X and PS5

I loved the early Silent Hills, but got 4 in the sale a few months back and hated it. :frowning:

Does Persona 5 take quite a bit of effort to get into? Started it tonight, maybe just wasn’t in the mood/feeling a bit tired but found it slightly tedious. Will approach with fresh eyes tomorrow!

It’s a slow goer, takes a while to get going. It is fun once it fully opens up and you are juggling the social life with the dungeons, but the first 6 or so hours are pretty linear in my memory.

2 Likes

There’s like tutorials for several hours. I really loved it after it stopped holding my hand. Wouldn’t mind getting other recs for that kind of urban fantasy setting in games tbh

1 Like

I had a demo of that and it freaked the hell out of me. Also recall it used that high-res headache-inducing interlacing mode that flickered badly on my portable telly.

1 Like

I wish i had a talking cat to tell me to go to bed

What console have you got Woody?

I play it with the sound off and just blast music instead. Cannot listen to those voices.

I am enjoying it otherwise, though the UI is as cluttered and nonsensical as fuck. I turn everything off on the map bar where the races are and just do those now.

Great game smothered by horrendous design choices.

1 Like

Started Watch Dogs Legion last night, the map is both insanely and eerily accurate and also, a bit frustratingly inaccurate. Very close to being able to drive to my flat but it doesn’t retain accuracy for quite enough.

Modern console: Switch
Retro in my house right now: 3ds, ds, Gameboy adv, wii, wii U, nes, snes, game cube.
All my old PlayStation 1 and 2 stuff is at my parents.

Have a pi400 with a nice 128gb retropie image on it. Handy for an everything in one solution and excellent arcade stuff that’s been lost to time.

1 Like

Thought I’d collate a load of 2021 insider podcast predictions, rumours and tweets flying around that might be interesting to discuss:

• A TON of games previewed as coming out this year will be delayed
  • Pokemon remasters are being worked on
  • GTA6 is well down the line, though not a 2021 game, and has a female protagonist
  • Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill games are allegedly in development for PS5
  • Microsoft are in talks to buy SEGA as their influence grows in Asia
  • Switch Pro model to launch in March alongside a new Monster Hunter

Might all be bollocks. Might all be true. I’d be amazed if there wasn’t a TLOU2 PS5 remaster with DLC coming too.

Anything people are excited by? Or hopeful for this gen?

I’m personally intrigued that publishers are sorting out their shit and giving good licenses to developers (Bond with IO, Indiana Jones with MachineGames, Star Wars with Ubisoft) and also the overlap in gaming and TV (Metal Gear films, Resident Evil games and Tv shows, Last of Us show etc).

Really hope Microsoft don’t buy Sega

4 Likes

GTA6 is well down the line, though not a 2021 game, and has a female protagonist

I worked with a bunch of former Rockstar testers in 2015/16 who said a skeleton team had started work on GTA6 while RDR2 was in development, and that it had a female main character, so I’m fairly convinced that that’s either true or was true at some point in development.

1 Like

Folks reckon the new Monster Hunter will be out on PC around xmas but that doesn’t seem to be based on much. That’d suit me fine though - I still haven’t played the World expansion yet.

Not really excited by much on the slate this year. I’m tentatively hopeful the Arkham game will be decent I guess.

Can’t wait for the female protagonist for GTA to be the next front in the culture war.

Only being outsold at a ratio of 5 to 1 vs PlayStation 5 in Japan. Well done Microsoft :grinning:

Love the story of Microsoft having a meeting WITH Nintendo and offering to buy Nintendo out and Nintendo just laughed in their faces.

1 Like

But it turned out so well for Rare…

Acquisitions rarely seem good in gaming do they? At the moment Sega seems to have hit it’s stride again with Yakuza, Total War, great sequels to classic stuff like Sonic Mania and Streets Of Rage 4.