Gaming thread

Really enjoying the new Hearthstone expansion. Need to save up the dust for a miracle jade rogue deck!

I’m in one of my cyclical Hearthstone lulls at the moment. I’m sure I’ll be back at some stage. Maybe.

Finished Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked on the 3DS: 8/10.

Top strategy RPG fun, with Tokyo facing destruction in seven days and demon Pokemon all over the place. Good, more or less coherent story. Six different endings, four with new epilogues, replay value, well worth a tenner.

And it does New Game+ well! You earn points for doing things in your run that you spend to unlock some stuff for next time (bringing moves or demons over etc). But you start at lv.2, so you can’t just murder the game. It’s made to be played over.

Trying to resist buying SMT IV: Apocalypse before Christmas. The fact it’s cheaper on eShop than Amazon really isn’t helping.

I remember you saying you were a miracle rogue guy, did you ever try that deck with added arcane giants? Game changer!*

*~40% win rate but fun as fuck when you play the auctioneer appropriately.

I didn’t, but you’re right, I liked how technical that deck was/is.

Otoh it probably contributed to burnout because of how draw dependent it is, which is one of my main Hearthstone frustrations (not just HS tbf, all card games with largely static draw).

I’m going to do this for future reference.

• Hearthstone: streamlined Magic: The Gathering
  • Eternal: Hearthstone with most of the M:TG bits put back in
  • HEX: Magic: The Gathering Online
  • Spellweaver: Magic: The Gathering with variable attack speeds and a double resource system
  • Duelyst: Hearthstone on a grid
  • Faeria: Duelyst were you build the grid yourself
  • Gwent: lol
  • Runescape Chronicles: dunno. Looks shit.
  • The Elder Scrolls One: looks really shit
  • Magic: The Gathering Online: Magic: The Gathering online

Trying to imagine giving this much of a shit about card games, and on top of it being this much of a misery.

1 Like

This is the Eps brand in a nutshell :smiley:

1 Like

:slight_smile:

I had a wee cry about this on Twitter last night. Basically, I think it’s a real shame that developers aren’t using the vast possibilities of digital card game to innovate. Physical card games of this ilk have so, so much variety nowadays, but all the digital ones do is add in some random effects that would be difficult to implement in a physical game. It’s a huge missed opportunity!

But I suppose part of it is that people are chasing Hearthstone’s success on the back of 20 year old mechanics. You’d think they’d have learned from all the failed World of Warcraft clones.

I really like the Elder Scrolls one, I think it’s my favourite of the lot. Even more than Gwent…

I play them so so so causally though.

Excuse me Eps but what are Steam Trading Cards for?

1 Like

No fucking idea, I think it’s like stamp collecting for the GamerGate generation.

Thanks

If you collect enough of a particular type you can get unique emojis and backgrounds for your Steam profile. You can also sell them for pennies, which is what I do.

Safe, thanks for the explanation. Turns out I am one and learning that I was one was the first time I found out that they existed.

Sigh

Go on then. Explain.

I can’t, that’s why I was asking Epso what they are.

They’re like football stickers or Garbage Pail Kids (without the chewing gum) but, like, digital.

You can keep em and look at them or ‘craft’ them into badges for your Steam profile or you can sell them usually for a few pence each though I did have some maniac pay about 60p for a Firewatch one recently. Money goes into your Steam wallet for which you can buy MOAR GAMES. And thus the cycle continues.

1 Like

I sell mine, I’ve probably made approx 20pounds over the years. I’ve got a rare foil in my collection which is apparently worth 2.67 :o

1 Like

How many games have you all completed this year?

I make it 27 on my list.