Gary Lineker

Not going to go all out and call him a hero for expressing basic human decency, but it’s more than a lot of people seemingly manage at the moment. I’m a big fan of this tweet in particular:

lol

Also liked the BBC straight-batting their ridiculousness with: “Gary is a freelance broadcaster and this is a personal Twitter account.”

He largely seems like a good bloke

Has always struck me as a good’un. This latest stuff from the Sn goes in that category of “I can’t fathom they would say/print that” and then I remember it’s the Sn. Utterly depressing that so many people lap up this drivel.

not being that into football anymore, i had no idea but he seems good

Interesting use of speech marks in this comment from the sun website:

‘This “child” looks older than Lineker, he should stick to his day job and pay a visit to “specsavers” And yes, if trying to stop these criminals ripping of the British taxpayers is racist, I am.’

I was going to type something about it all, but’s it’s just too depressing. Good on Linekar though. Imagine having a go at him just because he said we should treat child refugees decently.

At least The Daily Mail are supporting his view- … oh wait…

Good on him - but expect a bit of desparate muck raking on his personal life in retaliation very soon

#don’tbuythesun

The responses to this are so fucking depressing.

Yeah, most people who read The Sun don’t really have the intelligence or mental capacity to form their own judgements so it’s kind of inevitable that they’ll be regurgitating these pretty sick viewpoints back without really questioning it.

For a newspaper that’s published articles saying Muslim refugees are cockroaches who should be drowned at sea, with no real comeback, it’s not really a surprise that this sort of nonsense has been normalised.

Brave of Lineker to stick his head above the parapet to offer an opinion that isn’t really fashionable in our culture right now. Even writing that down is marginally terrifying, come to think of it.

What’s the error he’s supposed to have made? Has it been revealed that one of the kids is actually a 50 year old ISIS member after all?

No idea. I’m not going to read their shite.

It’s mad, isn’t it? To think, even if someone like Lineker, who has just about the broadest kind of fanbase as possible (like, who actively dislikes Lineker?) says this, he’ll get attacked for it. Could ANYONE turn the tide? Ant & Dec? Mel & Sue? No wonder politicians don’t have a hope.

Maybe David Attenborough could break the 4th wall on his new documentary series to come on screen wearing a ‘Refugees Welcome’ t-shirt and call Kelvin McKenzie a bell end.

I’m thinkoin[quote=“hip_young_gunslinger, post:17, topic:7552, full:true”]
It’s mad, isn’t it? To think, even if someone like Lineker, who has just about the broadest kind of fanbase as possible (like, who actively dislikes Lineker?) says this, he’ll get attacked for it. Could ANYONE turn the tide? Ant & Dec? Mel & Sue? No wonder politicians don’t have a hope.
[/quote]

Think it would require an “Avengers” type, united squad of celebs. I’m thinking Attenborough, Lumley, Julie Walters, Michael McIntyre and Clare Balding

Good that you’re saying this to literally the only person on the planet who hates David Attenborough