GDPR (niche thread)

Anyone else having to deal with this at work? I’ve been told to do some reading about it… Christ it’s dull, yet undercut with the menace that this could seriously fuck you up.

GDPR (5 character limit text)

Oooooh yes
DPA has always been the dullest subject, but this really ups the ante

God, have I EVER?!

Data protection seems like such a farce in the age of social media

If you have any good resources for reading about it, especially if marketing related, let me know…

We’re leaving the EU mate, fuck it

Very much so. Could pretty much make 90% of my job/career redundant.

We’re all sweating on an ICO ruling on its interpretation which is coming out this autumn.

In spite of the above, and even if it fucks me over personally, the forthcoming GDPR legislation is absolutely bang on and is long overdue.

It’s a massive deal here, but thankfully not something I’m having to care about.

This was literally my first response, but it turns out the UK has already agreed to basically institute the same thing but with a few minor variations, which just makes it even harder to accurately research.

Is your profession a gossip columnist?

yes I am actually working on this and helping to organise a conference for DP experts next month… I find it interesting

what specifically do you need to know…?

Oh sure I agree it’s very necessary, it’s just painful.

Was in this year’s Queen’s Speech and will be ratified into UK law in May 2018. So it’s not one of the EU laws we’re going to be sacking off.

Things like this make me so thankful that in my main job I deal with zero public/customers, and in the other it’s just a pub with a diary that might have bookings’ phone numbers in. NO RESPONSIBILITY THANKS!

No. The work of a gossip columnist will largely be unaffected by GDPR.

even if the implementation deadline were to be after we leave, it would be a pretty silly idea not to also harmonise our laws in this area.

Oh yeah totally agree.

Just generally trying to get a feel for compliancy, and how to deal with having a huge database of customers that we’ll now have to find ways to best re-engage.

All I know is there is a guy on £60k a year where I work “getting ready for the changes”. So far he has created a little clock countdown, and told some people they need to redo some work on a 3 year project