Gear Wanker thread Mk II

Was watching some Buerak videos earlier, very taken with Artyom Cherepanov’s teardrop shaped Vox bass.

1 Like

Egmond used to make copies of those! My mate Cathal picked the guitar version up a few years back.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCqVUPLn3BT/

1 Like

I wonder how the russian guy got hold of one in Siberia or if he bought it on tour or something- I remember in the interview I read which first introduced me to them, they said they deliberately did a minimal sound for this band because getting hold of gear/getting repairs is a complete pain in the arse when you live in Novosibirsk

Been messing about with my new synth for the past couple of weeks, and finally starting to make and save my own patches. Think I’m finally starting to understand some of the principles behind synthesis after being Big Billy Presets on my VSTs for years.

Here’s the first one I made from scratch:

Yes, it is just a droning sound with LFOs and Envelopes automating eaching other a little bit. I have a brand to maintain.

1 Like

This is cool! Not heard of these guys before.

There’s some more in this thread:

Music from behind the former Iron Curtain

1 Like

Cheers, will check that out tomorrow!

@ttf too white by far but I think I like the style enough for it not to matter. Plus can always try the coffee ageing trick

1 Like

Buying two fancy amps at once to compare side by side, then keeping one

• Reasonable idea if you can afford it
  • Stupid

0 voters

Both used so would be selling the second one at basically no loss (I’d hope)

No better way to figure out which one suits you best, but I’d never ever do it because I simply cannot trust myself to not keep both on the flimsiest of justifications.

1 Like

Yeah I got two trem pedals with the same idea in mind and so far … I want them both

I am gearing up (heh) to finally sell another amp I’ve held onto for about 3 years too long, so I’m using that as justification too

Love a chicken head knob on a guitar

1 Like

The front cover of the new Mogwai live album prompted me to finally sort out my old MIM Tele. It was my 14th birthday present, and cost £200. That always seemed cheap, and I think, after a long search, is because it was a “squier series” version that they were making for a while in the mid 90s, even though it isn’t marked as such. Anyway, the bridge pickup gave up years ago, and I’d always wanted a humbucker bridge, so I settled on a little 59. Shortly after, I replaced the neck pickup with a dimarzio Area T, but it was out of phase with the 59. I didn’t that was a thing, until ttf mentioned it a year or two back. Anyway, I’d been using it without a middle setting since putting them in. I’ve finally switched thw qiring on the 59. Lo and behold it finally works again.

My next task was to de-sticker it. Used coconut oil and bicarb and it’s cleaned up nicely. After breaking a cd that I was usimg as a scraper, I used a marmite lid, and that worked much better. I’ve now decided to smarten the whole thing up. I’d bought a pickguard years bavk, but the control plate was too wide. I think the Squier Series had Western parts but eastern electronics, so i’m getting a new plate in US size and hoping it fits.

Might change the tuners, although i don’t know what the point of that is.

And then spend even more money on a fancy splitter pedal.

3 Likes

There’s a brand called sticky stuff remover that is really great for getting stickers and sticker muck off things

1 Like

Would probably have made my job a lot easier. The oil bicarb solution worked for the last remnants quite well, but the stickers took a lot of scratching and scraping.

I use surgical spirits, which was worked wonders for me over the years. Will check that out now though.

Testing my setup for tonight’s gig. Really need an easier way of organising things.

2 Likes

It’s solvent/oil based and not as smelly as surgical spirit

Is that with the Korg Nintendo game?