Gear Wanker thread Mk II

Impulse bought a Mustang over dinner - goddamn ill-timed eBay auctions

1 Like

I think I started this about a year and a half ago, but just haven’t had the enthusiasm, but I’ve finally finished my silly pre-gain pedal.

It’s clones of a Naga Viper into a Prunes and Custard into a Zvex Machine (crossover distortion) with an order switcher for the last two. This definitely makes exactly the racket I was going for.

15 Likes

Looks great! I did some soldering for the first time in a while today, built a little rectifier module:

Felt good to make something, even something very simple.

2 Likes

Despite having seen the video 100s of times in the 30 years since it came out I only noticed yesterday that Coxon plays a Fender Coronado XII in the video to
She’s So High

Wonder why I’d never noticed that before

3 Likes

oh this is lovely

always been tempted by baritones

4 Likes

Sorry to spam the thread, but this has caught my eye

Seems a very good price? Although GAK is local to me so maybe i should just head there and try some out…

1 Like

That’s about what I paid for it in the boxing day sale back in 2019. Lovely ash body, nice feeling neck. The bridge pickup is a bit more like a strat than a Tele but it sounds great. The neck one is, idk, not well matched with the bridge. It does its thing, and is probably better than a lot of Tele stock necks, but it’s a bit umphy and muddy, imo. Still a really good value guitar, imo, particularly at that price.

1 Like

Cracking price for that. I’m not a humbucker man but it’s a lot of guitar for a very reasonable sum.

This Post Paid For By PROF$.

3 Likes

thanks (and @Kallgeese) - need to pull the trigger on something, but walking into GAK and playing some squiers might be the way to go first? I dunno.

Appreciate the feedback!

1 Like

Do this. For me a guitar is almost always about how the neck feels and you can’t figure that out without playing them. A nice afternoon pissing about and trying out a few different guitars sounds like heaven.

This Post Paid For By PROF$.

2 Likes

Yeah exactly :slight_smile:

I get the comment ref the h/b pickup, but it’s super dependant on setup and taste imo. Both my marshall and traynor heada are quite strong in the sparkle/rip-head-off department and that guitar in both-on position sounds ace imo.

That said a p90 or wide range replacement would work really well.

The necks are lovely.

Probably nothing affordable or easily transported but maybe a nice browse

it’ll be up in a week

1 Like

This is ace. The want is bad.

1 Like

Oh my lord, this is exquisite

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve watched the video and still think this is a bit of a con

He used some cheap shit so hopefully there’s at least an affordable pedal or two!

1 Like

This might be for some people here. Just launched today

1 Like

You’d need to be quite the fan of Mudhoney for this to make any sense surely? Weird!

1 Like

The newest addition arrived early, in time for the long weekend!

12 Likes