Gear Wanker thread Mk II

get it

Just messaged the seller there!

3 Likes

Can anyone recommend a UK or EU-based pickup maker? Iā€™m fed up of the weedy stock ones in the Squier Bass VI and the only replacement ones Iā€™ve seen are from small manufacturers in the US. I donā€™t particularly want to pay shipping and customs charges on them.

I think people have put Seymour Duncan Jag pickups in them, so maybe?

Entwhistle, the guy who makes Revelation guitars, might be worth a look at - http://www.entwistlepickups.com/index.php

1 Like

Anyone got a favourite (Russian) Muff clone that theyā€™d recommend? Iā€™m fed up of fixing the battery wires on my reissue one and want something with a standard power input.

I owned a Devi Ever Silver Rose Mk II, which had a Dwarfcraft Eu Clair Thunder circuit in it and I fucking HATED it. Really sensitive to input volume, speaker-blowing output levels that you had to buffer with something, and never sounded like a proper Muff to my ears.

Iā€™ve listened to sound comparisons of the newest Russian reissues and the Way Huge Swollen Pickle and they sound basically the same to me.

Built my own rams head muff clone which sounded the best to my ears (used a breadboard to swap components in/out)

1 Like

If you can fix the battery wires, you may aswell wire it for permanent DC input

I might do that eventually anyway but Iā€™m interested in what else is out there in terms of features etc.

Although thereā€™s not much point as Iā€™ll obviously just whack the sustain on full, adjust volume to suit, find a tone sweet spot and literally never touch the controls again.

1 Like

also got the EHX nano bass big muff pi which is ā€˜fineā€™ for my bass :man_shrugging:

just seen that this now exists (lord knows whyā€¦)
https://www.andertons.co.uk/jhs-moonpi-modded-ehx-nano-muff-moonpinanomuff?LGWCODE=MOONPINANOMUFF;56375;6335&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2o_fBRC8ARIsAIOyQ-lv61NbrBkW7RyfGtl6G5PeEkE8D7HVQDl2VVjQzgO3Fvs17D4wqakaAggqEALw_wcB

Big fan of the Stone Deaf Fig Fumb. Not sure if itā€™s based off the russian or original mind you, but get the expression pedal as well and itā€™s instant J Mascis vibes.

Thus is a really good pedal

3 Likes

Oooooh they only did a limited amount of these right? Sound lovely in the demos but not in the market for a new drive/fuzz right now

yeah its limited to 1500 - mine is number 300, which is a pleasingly round number

I always tell myself Iā€™m done buying new drives fuzzes but then something new I want turns up

Iā€™ve decided I want to have each of the major fuzz types to play with - the new one is a tonebender type, I have a fuzz face type (thorpy veteran). I want to get some kind of Muff and an octave fuzz type thing

very close to pulling the trigger on a Moog Grandmother today

really canā€™t afford it what with Christmas coming up & everything but hnnnng

5 Likes

on the phone to the synth store as we speak

6 Likes

This sounds amazing to my ears. Might get one.

Ooooooooooo that sounds fab. Is it monophonic though? Not sure if itā€™d have much to offer over and above the ms20?

yep, itā€™s monophonic (though with crafty modular tricks you can patch it to be duophonic/paraphonic) but as I already have the OB6 I donā€™t really need more polyphony right now

entirely different beast to the MS20 and even to other new Moogs as the circuits are based on old 60s modular designs and, especially with the addition of the spring reverb, it really has that creamy Moog modular sound of yore - totally radiophonic workshop

but Iā€™m not only after it for the synth noises, I also want to use it as an external processor - put drums through the mixer & filter section and use the spring reverb as a send/return in the studio

I tried one out back in august and it really sounds amazing, so much better than any youtube demo Iā€™ve seen, plus I like the look of the thing too

only drawback is thereā€™s no way to save settings but I quite like the idea of having physical patch sheets

hereā€™s a playlist of sounds

3 Likes

You pulled the trigger then?!