Gear Wanker thread Mk II

Carr Skylark! DO it!

Happy The Office GIF by Cameo

2 Likes

wonderfully on brand from TE

1 Like

Bad Gear and Nick Batt, together at last. Love it.

New Ableton Push isā€¦ Ableton, in a Push: Push ā€“ a standalone expressive instrument | Ableton | Ableton

Iā€™d expected something a bit like this for a while (things like the Akai Force and Maschine are nice enough but what production nerds really want is Ableton) but Iā€™m a bit surprised theyā€™ve got the route of literally cramming a PC (albeit quite a low-spec one, running Linux) in there, rather than doing a version for a phone/tablet-style CPU, which could have been cheaper and had better battery life - but I guess youā€™d have got a lot less than the full Live experience that this is offering.

Ā£1700 though. Thatā€™s a lot more than an equivalent laptop and a Launchpad Proā€¦

TE on design duties?

I donā€™t think it is thay bad for what it is. Probably more useful than an op-1 at what Ā£400 cheaper and with Iā€™m guessing an ableton license thrown in for your computer. maybe TE are just making things so when something decent but slightly overpriced comes out you end up just going ā€œnot badā€

1 Like

Iā€™m only joking really, itā€™s not horrific but I think itā€™s still a bit overpriced and donā€™t really see why you would choose this over the laptop + launchpad combo Parm suggests. Maybe Iā€™m missing something. I guess it also covers interface duties if youā€™re recording stuff.

Looks nice tbf.

License not included, so thatā€™s another Ā£540 for Live Suite if you donā€™t already have it (probably pointless dropping Ā£1700 on this to run Live Intro on it, especially as you canā€™t use VST/AU plugins, so are going to reliant on Ableton packs and Max for Live devices).

As a controller by itself the Push is Ā£880, which is still a lot, but MPE controllers are thin on the ground generally, and while I compared it to a Launchpad, it does a bunch more than that - the screen alone which lets you do sample editing is a big deal.

Honestly, itā€™s stupid money but Iā€™m still tempted.

Logic Pro on iPad!

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Cool for mixing especially I reckon.

1 Like

Big fan of the fact that Iā€™ll be able to continue working on stuff on my iPad whilst Iā€™m away with work or noodle around on the sofa.

1 Like

Pickup help please.

I bought a third hand Tele a few years ago, and the initial owner swapped out the bridge pickup for a Seymour Duncan mini humbucker (I think a mini 59). Iā€™m very happy with the bridge sound/tone/attack, but I donā€™t think they did anything with the neck pickup (still looks stock, but I havenā€™t dug behind the pickguard yet).

Really love the guitar but he volume disparity between the two pickups is just too much to be useable really (like pulling the volume pot down over half way). Iā€™d expect a tonal difference between the positions, but they should have broadly the same output right?

I guess a few questions. Does anyone have experience with ā€œhotterā€ Tele neck pickups without going down a rails route, or any glowing reports of rails neck pickups?

Or is there a way to increase the output of the neck pickup as is (some guitars let you raise or lower pickups but that doesnā€™t seem possible on a Tele)?

Ideally Iā€™d still like to retain some Tele sound.

2 Likes

They look great, will check some demos later.

Would you swap both out? Think Iā€™m liking the idea of an intended pair, rather than some mismatch.

You can adjust the neck pickup height if you want to, but because itā€™s mounted directly to the body youā€™ll have to take the pickguard off.

1 Like

Having said that, it does look quite close to the strings already

Yeah I think it is just a vastly different pickup to the bridge. Not sure Iā€™ll even get the two to work together.

Heard some clips of the quarter pound, sounds great. Will likely go down this route and switch out the pair.

Iā€™ve got a Dimarzio Area T in the neck of my tele with a liā€™l 59 in the bridge. I havenā€™t played it in a while but from memory, once I set it up nicely they worked quite well together.

1 Like

Charvel surfcaster has come up for auction near me. Canā€™t afford it but it looks so dreamy.

5 Likes

Was eyeing up the Eastwood remake of this the other day. It sounded a bit thin though? Maybe Eastwoodā€™s budgeting on build though, unsure.

1 Like