Gear Wanker thread Mk II

Love watching guitar repair videos. Can’t wait until I have my own shed and tools that I can fix guitars with.

I’ve tinkered - but this has kind of convinced me I might be better off just paying someone with experience and all the tools to do it properly

I’m able to set up guitars and basses and do basic electronic work but I feel the opposite when watching these, I just want to learn more!

1 Like

I want a drum machine that I can load my own samples into and has a step sequencer like an 808. Is their a piece of hardware that does this cheaply?

I think a volca sample might be best for my needs. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Started building a Clari(not) clone this morning bit am missing a resistor, so i’m going to get drunk instead.

What kind? I still use my felt ukulele ones quite a bit, they’ve got a much softer attack than plastic ones so can interact with fuzz really nicely.

I bought a baritone

8 Likes

Wired and tested this earlier and it worked great. Annoyingly my drilling wasn’t up to scratch and took over 5 minutes to not even make one of tthe ten holes i need. Might have to buy a ready made one, which doesn’t bode well for the bespoke one I’m making.

1 Like

A clari(not) clone with a fuzz lifter, although the fuzz lifter is oretty basic, so involes a massive volume drop, fine so long as you have it set up for either with of without.

1 Like

I’m slowly learning bits and comparing different kits is helping. For example that kit uses a pt2399 chip, which is a delay chip used in deep blue delays and the like, but also in choruses like the sea machine, so that’s made me look at the schematics for each as well as chip guides to see how they could be used to mod one of those pedals. Also there are a couple of different places i get kits from so comparing similar clones from each site is quite interesting.

1 Like

I mean obviously I need to get this.

i don’t shit about anything but i don’t think i like the pickups in my guitar and would like to go about getting some others that i do like but wouldn’t even know where to begin.

so err, how should i begin?

I don’t know much about pickups - but people seem to like bareknuckle pickups, so maybe some of them?

i’ll recommend this site all day long. If you feel a bit unsure give them an email and they’ll recommend you something based on the sort of music you like or sound you’re looking for.

Holy shit, my first keyboard as a kid was a PSS-470 and I did not know this about it. I spent so much time dicking around with that digital synthesizer bit. I wonder if it’s still in my parents’ loft…

1 Like

need a little 2i/o soundcard to take travelling with me. anyone used those focusrite scarlet ones? any good?

I’m giving serious consideration to buying a Moog Grandmother and sticking it on an interest free credit card

I’m going to go into GAK tomorrow and have a play on one

1 Like

don’t know if you know but…

1 Like

Did it

Mainly just played the riff from Just Can’t Get Enough so far

8 Likes