Gear Wanker thread Mk II

I got a korg volca beats for a bit of analogue drum machining the other day. They are cheap and cheerful but fun and easy to use (I already have an Alexis sr18, but I find the interface holds me back a bit when I just want to quickly create a beat).

Might be an idea to dip your toe in the water?

2 Likes

I finally got round to running the grandmother with my guitar FX today

My delays, chorus and reverb pedals were great fun - the pad setting on the mxr reverb works fantastically - basically creates the illusion of a polly / 2nd synth, especially with the 2nd oscillator tuned to a different pitch. Instant vangellis

The fuzzes were a bit underwhelming with synth, they donā€™t really work as well as with guitar

Yeah, Iā€™ve looked into volca beats and am tempted.

Only real downside is the lack of sequencing - you can preset up to 8 patterns, but if you want to have multiple patterns in a song you need to ā€œdriveā€ the changes in real time. Probably can be done with an external sequencer but Iā€™ve not really looked into that

But for the price you canā€™t expect it to do everything

It has arrived.

Youā€™ve got to respect a pedal where at no point in the design process did anyone say ā€œDoes anyone think this is a bitā€¦ much?ā€. Fucking hell. Think itā€™s gainier then my triangle Big Muff reissue and that thing is ridiculous.

2 Likes
1 Like

Ebow is good - feature it in most of what I do.

Look at the drumbrute impact if you want an affordable drum machine massive bang:buck ratio.

Intriguing, i could pick up both for budget

So it seems like Elektron have jumped in on the Volca end of the market with their new ā€˜model:-ā€™ range

first up model:samples

any takers here?

no CV out, no likey for me

yup, does seem something of an oversight, as is lack of audio in for sampling (though that could be supported via the usb there)

what are you running on CV? Iā€™d guess they figured that most modular users who fancy this as a sequencer for their gear would have a MIDI ā†’ CV converter in their rack already & would want to plug this in there instead of their laptop DAW for screen free performance

oh youā€™re definitely right there, and it probably helped keep the cost down. Iā€™ve got a small eurorack setup on the go. And tbf the options for sequencing/synching are fucking huge/endless/$$$.

Iā€™ve got a Digitakt and Digitone, so doesnā€™t really cover anything new. Portability is interesting though. Looks like they are going for the Volca Sample / Novation Circuit market. If itā€™s a start of a model: range iā€™d be in interested in a analog keys lite i guess.

Personally I think it looks absolutely hideous. The styling is all wrong, The two-tone woods are poopy

looks fine from the back though in a single natural colour - looks like a tele

1 Like

would probably be fine if they just painted the top & the body the same finish tbh

1 Like

Iā€™d like to play one. They donā€™t look quite right but itā€™s the sort of thing i think i could get used to. That said, Iā€™m not sure why Iā€™d ever want one.

looks fucking terrible. like some cheap shit kids toy

1 Like

Fucking HELL

1 Like

JFC

1 Like

it may sound amazing, and Iā€™m not the target marketā€¦ I donā€™t really like the taylor or godin styled ones either :man_shrugging:

but this one does look absolute shite. and for Ā£1500!? :laughing: