Gear Wanker thread Mk II

Just bought a Tascam 488 on ebay

Hopefully it will mostly work - I’ve also finally got round to talking to a man who might be able to get my 2x424s working better, so I’m going to be drowning in cassette based recording technology

Does anybody know what the correct thread is for the VM squires trems on Staytrem? Is it 10mm or 3/8"?

Ta

Cheers that was my thought as well just found this article which is at least interesting.

1 Like

Got a question about the second dullest gear wanker topic of all (the first is picks, or possibly cables): guitar strings.

I think my Jazzmaster is strung with 9s. They feel very… widdly, especially coming from bass. Is that “shredder” gauge? Are 10s a bit more standard for non-Malmsteems (I know I’d have to refile the nut)

got 10s on my Jag, it’s fine. No nut filing necessary

1 Like

when I was full shredder I had 8s - on a short scale guitar. Bet it played awful but it was years ago and I can’t remember

10 is the default gauge for most people

1 Like

i detune so i’m usually 12-60 but i still find those pretty playable tbh (some filing necessary)

1 Like

@ttf one of the earlier run of Squier Bass VIs for £250 here Redirecting...

1 Like

buzzstop? :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Installed the staytrem to my jag tonight and after doing it I would advise not doing it on a VM. Whoever milled the hole in the trem plate was at the very least slapdash. It took 3 goes of basically bathing the original collet in wd40 to get it off and then another 2 lots of wd40 to get the new one on.

If you are going to do this by at the very least a new trem plate 1st. Preferably one not milled by someone using their feet to do it.

Anyone ever bought one of those Rickenbacker copies off AliExpress? Looks like a decent guitar, but obvs hard to tell…

imagine actually buying one of those

5 Likes

absolutely stunning

1 Like

Have we discussed these?

Pretty sure i don’t like it. Although the blue is better than the natural finish

We did upthread. Strat with a Jazz Bass body. Pretty pointless.

2 Likes

Oh sorry, missed that. But yeah, hasn’t it got two tlele bridge pickups!?

I agree with @ttf, the bridge is the biggest deal breaker.

1 Like

That will look good in the office or lounge of some millionaire nerd and never be played.

2 Likes

Two Tele neck pickups but really it’s not going to be much different from a Strat.

I like the Strat trem (I use one a lot) but I think Fender could be doing a lot better than releasing this guitar.

1 Like

$35,000 for the strat. You could buy a decent vintage strat for less. Why? Why?

Got to admit the paint work on the body and headstock on jaguar is pretty impressive if it was hand painted.

I claim this band name.

2 Likes