General Reading / Book Thread for 2019

W&G is one of my favourites of the lot. It’s a self contained story, which is great in itself and gives a lot of background to everyone.

I think the later books feel rushed and get a bit ‘meta’ but still worth reading.

2 Likes

Young Roland’s ka-tet are a gbol

2 Likes

Finished Rebecca on Thursday. It was a little slow to start but once I got into it I really enjoyed it. Very atmospheric and a good creeping sense of dread. Started The Hazel Wood on Saturday and am already intrigued. Probably going to start a graphic novel this week too. Red Rosa, Irmina or Sabrina.

2 Likes

My excitement really started building in Part III when the Ageless Stranger called himself R.F. and asked the Tick-Tock Man to say “my life for you”. Oho! I thought to myself, and 100 pages into IV we’re slap bang in the middle of Captain Trips again. God, I love Stephen King :smiley:

Yes! He really does weave a lot together for his ‘constant readers’. I remember Insomnia and Hearts of Atlantis having a fair bit of DK content too.

Yeah @mil_c if you’re doing Dark Tower for the first time I’d recommend after volume IV you read Hearts in Atlantis for the titular short story (the other stories are good too) and then also Black House that he wrote with Peter Straub. Both tales are referenced in books 5-7 and are also really great Dark Tower stories in their own right.

Finally, if you’ve never read Salem’s Lot I’d advise reading that before you tackle book 5 of the DT.

(If you’ve not read The Talisman you should definitely read that before Black House, which is its sequel.)

I actually don’t recall the intersections of Insomnia and Dark Tower but then he pretty much connected everything at one point so it’s hard to recall.

1 Like

Yeah. There’s a nifty diagram somewhere with the connections. I read insomnia before DK and I read it again realised there is quite a few crossovers

2 Likes

hello any recs for books about bands/music scenes? I am currently waiting on a copy of American Hardcore, it’s out of stock at Better World Books. Any bands/scenes, but maybe not a diary of Motley Crue’s party habits. Hell, I even read Scar Tissue and RHCP bore me to death

England’s Hidden Reverse is great about Coil, C93 and Nurse With Wound.

Also Wreckers of Civilisation about TG is interesting

1 Like

Finished Magic Mountain, loved it in stretches, the characters feel a little on-the-nose by today’s satirical standards though.

Currently got Pride & Prejuidce, IQ84 book 2 and Mortimer & Whitehouse’s Gone Fishing on the go.

1 Like

cuthbert is a top boy (apparently pronounced kewth-bert)

1 Like

No chance.

2 Likes

Finished reading Sophie Lewis’sFull Surrogacy Now I guess broadly speaking it’s an attempt to place pregnancy and more specifically surrogacy and social reproduction in the context of the wider struggle against wage-labour. Does a great job of explaining the history of such struggles and sets out possible avenues for a more emancipatory kind of care-giving.

Finally getting around to reading Ursula Le Guin’s The Dispossesed which is pretty much everything I’d want in a sci-fi book Anarchists! Space Travel! Conspiracies! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azzerad - US indie rock in the pre-Nirvana days. It’s great.

5 Likes

That sounds right up my alley. Heaps of cheap copies on Amazon too. Cheers!

The Ordeal of Gilbert Pinfold by Evelyn Waugh

Recently read it on a weekend break and it’s one of the most vivid depictions of depression I’ve ever read, yet thoroughly enjoyable at the same time. The hallucination scenes were so realistically terrifying, highlighting Waugh’s own downward spiral experience, and engrossing. I love Waugh and I loved this. Not peak Waugh but a good read nevertheless.

reading high rise by ballard. i like his short stories, thought I’d give this a go. enjoying it altho the prose is a little clunkier than I’d have expected after reading the shorter stuff.

concentration city is a pretty big influence on music i make come to think of it.

I had a hard time with Ballard and I think it’s just that his type of prose doesn’t work for me, at all.

2 Likes

lots of things like this: “it was, to be sure, now that he thought of it, and quite contrary to what they told him, last week, just after sundown, prior to the arrival of the police, who arrived within ten min…”

JUST GET ON WITH THE SENTENCE MAN JFC

5 Likes

:laughing:

1 Like