General Reading / Book Thread for 2019

Worth heading to the bookies?

https://twitter.com/matt_sperling/status/1173569704893526022?s=20

@kiyonemakibi

1 Like

:open_mouth:

I would guess that bookshops were issued shortlist stickers to put on books and someone just got the pack wrong… I’m fairly sure that the decision isn’t properly made until the evening of the awards. Still, could be worth a flutter.

Ha yeah, definitely a daft mistake but I do think Atwood has a good chance. Probably won’t get good odds though, she’s probably the favourite.

This has made me realise the cleverness of that cover having the silhouette of a woman as the tassel of her robes.

3 Likes

Finished I Am Watching You in a three days and I don’t get much reading time, but actually it was a good thriller. Of the three of these I’ve read in recent times:

1. Exquisite
  2. I Am Watching You
  3. Find Me

Anyway:

I am now almost a quarter of the way through The Calculating Stars so that’s good. Will see if I’m ready for HDM re-read after that or want some non-fiction.

The reverse is also clever!

I only see the main image there TBH

1 Like

The hair scrunchie/outline of the hair is a handmaid

5 Likes

I’m about half way through this. It’s stressing me out to be honest.

Oh yeah!

I strongly recommend Ghost Wall by Sarah Moss

2 Likes

Cheers. I really enjoyed Night Waking which, IIRC, @slicky sent to me once after I mentioned being interested in it, so I’ve stuck this on the to-read.

1 Like

Reading Dune for the first time I was really in the mood for some classic sci-fi. Actually hilarious seeing all these sci-fi tropes, not to mention stuff like ASOIAF, literally being invented on the page. And that the key literary signifier of the bad guy is that he is monstrously fat.

Annoyed with myself though because I saw the cast list for the new film and the actors have replaced who I was imagining in my head (especially Duke and Paul) but there are worse things than thinking about Oscar Isaac tbf :drooling_face:

I bought the whole Dune series when it was like 99p for the ebook a few months back… not sure when I’ll get round to it, I’ve read the first page several times and it never stops looking very silly

It is, but then it’s not real sci-fi if it doesn’t feel a little silly. I’m enjoying it a lot, plus listening to the new Chelsea Wolfe album while I’m reading it helps it come alive and be more believable.

2 Likes

Is Dune ACTUALLY readable?

Finished The Testaments. Has anyone else? I want to talk about it

Read it once at school and it was okay but didn’t really get it and it felt very OTT and wordy to me.

Can’t imagine lots of it has aged too well but keep meaning to give it another read as an adult. As I mentioned in the Harry Potter thread, the whole fat==evil thing is a real upset for me now when I come across it, lazy and reinforcing of a lot of shit.

Nah mate. Been watching it all on telly.