General reading/book thread for 2020

Jaws is a good book, actually.

Finished The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell - great stuff if you like a ghost story.

Started in on Ghost Wall and the story already intrigues me but really bored of this anti-grammar thing like The Gallows Pole did, it just makes reading really hard for me. Yeah it’s a construct but it’s about legibility and as I know Moss can actually write properly it’s a bit galling.

never read it, feel like i see it everywhere though so might buy it next time.
would love a hawk. bet training them is way easier these days too

2 Likes

ooh no Ghost Wall is great, keep going Theo then we can do ghost wall chat

2 Likes

I read Ghost Wall last year.
Enjoyed it. I think it’s worth sticking with @1101010, it’s pretty short too.

1 Like

Ha I won’t give up. I read Gallows Pole too. I just really don’t like this sort of affectation. USE SPEECH MARKS AND PARAGRAPHS FFS!!!

2 Likes

I third this opinion! Though I probably won’t be able to join in any chat, as I tend to completely forget everything about a book 30 seconds after I read it, other than if I liked it.

1 Like

Books that don’t use speech marks annoy the hell out of me sometimes. I mean, I really love some that don’t. But a lot of the time it feels unnecessary and just a way of the author signalling how literary and clever they are. Think sometime it’s also a way of covering up crap dialog.

I just don’t understand what I as a reader get out of picking my brain through this:

At least the Gallows Pole put each speech line on a new paragraph as I recall.

1 Like

It’s weird because I found it easy to read…I guess it depends how your brain translates the text, so I often find speech marks and he said she said feels more clunky, I enjoy the stream of conscious type of writing.

1 Like

Currently reading The Most Fun We Ever Had by Claire Lombardo which reminds me of Celeste Ng and Anne Tyler and other American family writing all rolled into one.

I am enjoying it a lot so far.

1 Like

I found this one easy to read, but it varies a lot from writer to writer. Read Murmur by William Eaves for book group and can’t recommended it - it made a book about Alan Turing post chemical castration a lot harder than it needed to be. Re-writing that style of writing to add the speech marks etc. would be an ace creative writing exercise. Might try it with the bit Theo posted above. Although I did tell myself I’d procrastinate less today :grimacing:.

If people enjoyed Ghost Wall, thoroughly recommend Everything Under by Daisy Johnson. They sit together in my head for some reason.

1 Like

Yeah I just don’t read for brain exercising, I just read for a story. I have enough trying to think through stuff in my day job doing code debugging and trying to make sense of batshit technical jargon in manuals and the like.

1 Like

Great, have added it to my list!

1 Like

Reading The Stand which is my first ever Stephen King, really enjoying it but feel a bit overwhelmed about being 400 pages in and still having 900 to go.

2 Likes

It’s not his best IMO. I would say The Shining is the best first read. Particularly as I think the Stand only comes in the extended version now which is a bit more indulgent.

It’s probably a good one for the situation though, yeah :smiley:

1 Like

Normal People by Sally Rooney is 99p on kindle UK today.

Meant to be good isn’t it

It is! Not quite as much as it’s hyped it to be, but well worth a read.

2 Likes

books are good aren’t they?

8 Likes

Finished re-read of Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett. Stood up much more than Colour of Magic.

Reading a lot less in lockdown. Was reading about 2 hours a day on commute + lunchtimes. Now I’m staring out of the window and playing Animal Crossing.

Now reading The Man Who Saw Everything by Deborah Levy. Doing this one with my book group via Zoom. Excited, as read Hot Milk by her a couple of months ago and it shot right up there with my all time favourites.