General reading/book thread for 2020

I picked it up after your/noise ramones recommendation so cheers!

1 Like

Good selection!

Fitzcarraldo books seem to curate their authors really well

Berg is weird and excellent

Have read a couple of Lispector novels, I didn’t love them but they are very singular and intriguing

I haven’t seen any yet but going to have a little peruse through YouTube

Her books are very filmic so it makes sense she moved into cinema…

looks like there’s a few… but shitty quality, or without english subtitles!

1 Like

Read my first Lispector book earlier this year (near to the wild heart), thought it was beautifully written but also found it hard to properly love. too clever for me maybe

1 Like

I am going to drag myself to my storage unit this weekend and haul out some books. Wodehouse, Robertson Davies, Dunsany. That should keep me feeling a little more upbeat through the week.

1 Like

I’m planning on rereading some Robertson Davies over the next few weeks as well. Cornish or Deptford?

1 Like

The Papers of Samuel Marchbanks!

4 Likes

Old school!

1 Like

I love it so much. I learned the etymology of “rankle”!

1 Like

One of the great pleasures of RD is that while you’re reading him you feel much more knowledgeable than you really are.

1 Like

I should dig out High Spirits, too. I could use some light-hearted ghost stories.

1 Like

Just finished My Cousin Rachel.
I have some thoughts. Mostly -

Philip was an insufferable, selfish, self righteous misogynist and by the end I would have cheered Rachel on for killing him, quite frankly.

is that you reading it in dungeness?

edit: also is it good?

1 Like

No this is on Hastings beach which isn’t far from Dungeness

Yeah it’s pretty good. The first few pages are basically listing different plant names and I was a bit ffs, but then he talks mostly about his life there and his projects. He was involved in so many different things and it’s quite a good insight into that artistic time period. Lots of name dropping where he’ll just state their first name.

1 Like

I just finished the follow up to Modern Nature which leads up to his death :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

A coupla chapters into The Yiddish Policemen’s Union.

Gotta say, I’m glad I’m reading this in lockdown and not Station Eleven - worryingly close to home on a “there’s a flu pandemic” level (I remember reading it on a train in the midst of Storm Dennis and the first wave of Covid paranoia, it was weird) - or White Noise - as I said in another thread, the ATE section is absolutely beautiful, but also very harrowingly relevant.

YPU weirdly reminds me a bit of Discworld Noir, in that it’s has that really nice noir atmosphere to it with just a touch of the fantastical to it (thus far, anyway). Really enjoy it. As with Kavalier and Clay, it’s got the scope of a Pynchon novel while being a proper page-turner (the snappy detective novel prose helps here, too!)

4 Likes

Finished The Lover by Magueritte Duras last night and found it to be a bit of a slog tbh. Found her writing to be really quite beautiful in places, but the narrative just washed over me.

loved paradise rot, so vivid and hyper-sensual. not really read anything like it before.
@tricklenipple I also really liked goshawk and hawthorne & child. wasn’t so sure about swamplandia, sorry

reading the unwomanly face of war now, only 40 pages in but already very impressed by it

3 Likes