General reading/book thread for 2020

look, I had a lot of time during lockdown, okay?

5 Likes

4 Likes

Reading The Pisces and Fangirl feels like yeeears ago.

169 books?! Incredible work!

2 Likes

there’s a few graphic novels in there, where I was going through two or three a day in lockdown, but otherwise, yeah it’s just what I did instead of going to gigs or work - being furloughed for four months is a great way to get your stats up!

1 Like

3 Likes

A few read linked to this thread…some gems found on here…some I didn’t get on with too well.

2 Likes

Kavalier & Clay buddy :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Hit this little icon after you screenshot
20210101_133603

I really want an infographic of all the books I read

Umm, I don’t think I have that :thinking:

liked it a lot. got yiddish policeman’s union lined up for this year

2 Likes

Nice, I read that one first (it was a very kind gift from tricklenipple, and then I did a Chabon swap with @manches that for K&C)

Actually, really recommend YPU for this time of year.

3 Likes

89 books

favourites were:

doris lessing- the golden notebook
the sea, the sea- iris murdoch
the dispossessed- ursula k le guin
modern nature- derek jarman
the idiot/crime and punishment- dostoyevsky
2666- roberto bolano
another country-james baldwin
chernobyl prayer- svetlana alexievich
i am the brother of xx- fleur jaeggy

3 Likes

4 Likes

Saw a few people posting about strorygraph as a non amazon affiliated version of Goodreads. Thibk it also important Goodreads data

https://instagram.com/the.storygraph?igshid=17zcnvhsm1ia

1 Like

@anon24576931 started a thread on this. It looks pretty decent and importing data from goodreads was really easy. Lots of extra stats on there too which I like!

2 Likes

I did a blogpost roundup of my 2020 reading

1 Like

What did you think of The Glass Hotel? I absolutely inhaled it and got lost in it and yet didn’t think the story was that strong? It tried to do a lot, and I found myself wanting her to focus on other strands of the story rather than the Ponzi scheme man in prison

I really liked it, although I’m not totally sure if the way I read it (very piecemeal on a laptop while I should have been working) made it seem better than it was.

I was really underwhelmed by Station Eleven but I think the dream-like, floaty style she writes with really suited Glass Hotel including all the Ponzi dreams/ memories.