Geneva

Is there anything fun to do here? It’s very expensive.

I had a really lovely time there last year

Parfums de Beyrouth is good for reasonably priced and decent Lebanese

I personally cant stand fondu but my friends loved the place on boat (?)

I mostly just went to various meetings at the UN but talking to rich people about poor people is good fun

Quite a famous convention, probably gets all the best sci fi stars

It means nothing to me!

it really grinds my gears when people refer to the 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees as ‘the Geneva Convention’

(also people normally mean either the Geneva Conventions or just the fourth one)

It’s a pleasant place to spend time but there’s not masses there. It’s also unbelievably expensive. The jet d’eau is cool though.

just remembered it was an all expenses paid trip covered by my college

such a wanky thing to do haha

I’ve spent around 3 months of the year there every year since 2015

Short answer: no

Longer answer: maybe, if you have :moneybag:

More serious answer: the Lebanese place DB mentioned is the best value food you’re gonna find. Cafe du Soleil is really good for fondue. It’s nice to walk around the old town for a bit, have a look at the old town hall and the nice buildings there. Plainpalais is a young area and there’s often some arty stuff going on around there, maybe also at L’Usine. Plainpalais is probably your best bet for a beer too. Carouge is meant to be nice for a stroll and a coffee but I’ve never been.

Geneva’s actually alright in summer but I guess so many people are skiing or huddled away inside so winter can be a bit dull.

not really. what sort of budget do you have (i.e spending money per day ?)

you could get a bus to chamonix or train to interlaken and realise you can’t afford to do anything there either

I’m actually here for work so thankfully I don’t have an awful lot of free time. I saw a good mountain from the plane, that was alright.

Decent record shop here. I bought an obscure Big Black bootleg thing last time I was there then left it on the train on the way home.

http://www.digitrecords.ch/

If you can afford to go, and are not a veggie then Relais dEntrecote does the best steak frites I’ve ever had. About 50 quid per head…

I tried to go out there on a Monday evening as I was passing through. Absolutely dead.

Seem to temember it being nice and enjoyable enough to just wander around in the daytime though. Nice trams too.

Pretty sure there are a couple of them in London, much cheaper too.

Airports full of businessmen.
The train route round lake geneva is v scenic.

Thats all ive got, sorry.