Genre crossover collaborations

Remember the Judgement Night soundtrack?

“What, rap AND rock… TOGETHER!?”

Coming strongly from the I remember hearing the “rock” camp, I remember on the Sir-Mix-A-Lot / Mudhoney collaboration feeling sorry for Mudhoney when Sir-Mix-A-Lot closed out the song with

Just lost my street credibility y’all!

Then, years later, there was the Spawn soundtrack.

“What, dance AND rock… TOGETHER!?”

This thread is for sharing music where the genre crossover thing was made into a big deal.

1 Like
7 Likes

Pop, Jazz & New Wave: Stevie Wonder, Herbie Hancock, Thomas Dolby and Howard Jones with a Synth Medley at the 1985 Grammys

3 Likes

In the below song, the leader singer Fred (affectionately known as Red Cap) further embraces the coming together of rock and hip hop, as his call to arms for everyone to keep rollin rollin rollin invites rockers, hip hoppers and indeed everybody all around the world to move in and move out, hands up now hands down, back up back up and tell him what you’re gonna do now

7 Likes

In a different timeline, this would have been the song that brought down the Berlin Wall

5 Likes

Always this

4 Likes

From the Blade II soundtrack which is a treasure chest of Electronic/Hip-Hop crossover tracks…

1 Like

Durst told [Sam Rivers], the bassist for Malachi Sage, “You need to quit this band and start a band with me that’s like this: rappin’ and rockin’.”

2 Likes

I’d say its marked more by asking to take it to the Matthews Bridge

2 Likes

sorry for being Captain Obvious:

1 Like

Lupe Fiasco sampling Far with Jonah Matranga on the chorus

More likely Durst’s questionable guitar playing and Borland’s “doing it for the cash.”

1 Like

They’re still friends

3 Likes

I like this one. Not a classic but the koolest of Keith’s always goes down a treat.

1 Like

Portishead go Sabbath, sort of…