Genres that seem to have shifted in meaning

Was surprised to see the very capital-P Pop single I’m working on from Petite Meller what was listed on this playlist

Made me wonder which genres seem to have shifted in meaning in modern times…

post hardcore could mean literally anything now

14 Likes

First thing that springs to mind is “lo-fi”, maybe not a genre so much as a descriptor. Not that long ago it used to mean crappily recorded probably-indie stuff. Now it means comfy, generic Splice loops with an anime screenshot YouTube video.

6 Likes

Classical music should also incorporate rock n roll at this point

4 Likes

I mean r’n’b is the obvious one, right?

Indie pop is now basically used to mean anything poppy with guitars. But then Americans always referred to shambling/C86 type stuff as “twee pop” anyway, so I think it’s come from that.

2 Likes

This^

Also, I heard someone on TikTok describe Holly Humberstone as “ambient” the other day?!

Found it a bit confusing back when dubstep changed its meaning from what it originally was to anything with a wobble bass and a drop

11 Likes

Emo through the various waves

5 Likes

Thinly-veiled “I was into dubstep before it was cool,” post :wink:

10 Likes

Taylor Swift’s borrowing of Jimmy Eat World’s formula (dragged through a polite Paramore moshpit) really messed with emo, didn’t it?

More like “I was into dubstep before it stopped being cool”

4 Likes
1 Like

This was the scene I was thinking of

4 Likes

Avril Lavigne and Machine Gun Kelly is what pop punk is now.

7 Likes

I recognise 5 of those bands/acts. Most of them may well be made up.

Grime confused me for a while as I had the original Grime compilation on Rephlex and when my son is talking about Grime that ain’t what he is referring to.

Also had an in depth conversation with my sister in law about lo-fi only to realise that she was talking about something totally different.

9 - keep up old man :muscle:

Has been releasing records for twenty years, and they’ve pretty much always been called punk pop.

2 Likes

Yes and I was as OUTRAGED by Let Go as I am by Love Sux!

Stop being a h8ter boy

8 Likes