George Osborne - New editor of the Evening Standard

Oh 100%. Also Tatton’s in Cheshire right?

There’s literally nothing about it which isn’t hideous.

Don’t see it at all.

The ES is a weird one though. It’s a paper written for wealthy west londoners (pro-Remain) and Surrey bankers (maybe split down the middle), but also read by bored commuters working in the least racist city in the country, who seemed fine to be insulted by its daily bile and smearing.

Genuinely don’t understand how it’s ok to be an MP and also allowed to edit a paper. I know journalistic integrity is pretty low down in priority nowadays but how can they even claim to be even slightly unbiased now in their reporting.

2 Likes

Yeah. 38% of the electorate there still voted for Neil Hamilton in 1997, don’t forget.

Yeah it’s a full on rural middle class area. Safest of safe seats.

Funny how you get more influence as editor of the evening standard than as chancellor

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a funny one. It took me by suppose the other week with it’s rise in hate crime headline but then went back to usual tabloid fodder and ‘Brexit Jobs Bonanza’, gtf.

Yeah whilst it doesn’t seem that much of an influential paper editorially I can’t help but see everything Osborne does as part of a grand scheme. Seems like a cold, vengeful bastard. We’ll see what happens.

It’s Blackrock I feel sorry for.

4 Likes

I think they’re pro-businees London, which at the moment means backing Sadiq against Brexit.

I think they still backed Goldsmith for mayor though, who was pro-Brexit and (as the Evening Standard was happy to show us) pro-racist.

1 Like

So four days a week editing the Standard, one day a week being a fund manager. Can you be an MP just in your lunch break then?

3 Likes

great news

Their main film critic is generally awful, was a real shit about the late Anton Yelchin when they reviewed last year’s Star Trek film. It’s just a terrible paper in general.

plus he’s on that washington speakers circuit

Genuinely thought this was a @jordan_229 thread

1 Like

High praise! Thanks!

I’m a man of precious few principles, but I’d rather sit staring at the floor than pick up the Standard.

3 Likes

Has he been hacked?

after David Davis’ shambles yesterday and this news…i know it is like pissing in the wind but how do so many politicians repeatedly get away with being so openly and brazenly bad at their jobs?

i am not bad at my job but if i was I would be shipped out pretty quickly. how does this not happen with politicians? just don’t get it.