Gerry Cinnamon - a discussion about regional popularity

Gerry Cinnamon, weirdly, can sell out two nights at the Barrowlands up here. Are there any other acts in the UK who have a similar popularity only in their home town?

1 Like

Good point. I am continually perplexed by the continuing popularity of The Courteeners. All their albums have gone Top 10!

Theyā€™re do well in a lot of places but the Cribs managed to sell out Leeds Arena last year

1 Like

thats not their home town!!

1 Like

Oh I didnā€™t see the bit of the OP that said hometown

Still canā€™t believe thereā€™s someone out there calling themselves Gerry Cinnamon

12 Likes

I know, it is terrible. He also does an awful cover of ā€˜I Wanna Be Adoredā€™. Iā€™m not a fan.

Missed a trick there by not covering Sally Cinnamon.

5 Likes

The Enemy used to routinely sell out the Ricoh Arena in Coventry and play pubs everywhere else.

2 Likes

Bush used to be huge in their home country of the USA while theyā€™d be playing the Camden Monarch when they came to the UK.

2 Likes

I think Gerry Cinnamons success is slightly different to The Courteeners/The Enemy in that heā€™s done it mostly through word of mouth without any record label involvement (he used to run an open mic night a few years back so I guess it built it from there), Iā€™m not a big fan but itā€™s a pretty impressive achievement.

You are right, whether you like to music or not (i donā€™t), it is an impressive achievement to sell out two nights at The Barras without any record company help whatsoever.

heā€™s managed by DF concerts, the ā€œno label, no press, no agentā€ patter is pure pish

3 Likes

In that case, i retract my above statement.

I didnā€™t know that, thought he did it all himself

Ah, interesting! I thought heā€™d done it all himself. Howā€™s he perpetrated this myth so well?!

The Twang regularly sell out the O2 Academy in Birmingham yet ā€¦Iā€™m assuming they donā€™t do much elsewhere.

I imagine a ā€œcondimentsā€ festival featuring Gerry Cinnamon, Toni Basil, The Spice Girls, Veruca Salt, and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

7 Likes

They still play quite large places in Glasgow, like the O2 ABC, which holds 1,300. Donā€™t know if they sell it out mind you!

Milburn played 2 sold out stadium shows on back to back nights in Sheffield last year