Getting better at performing and playing music thread

I’d start with this (in fact I did!) and look into adding a synth once you’ve done some experimenting and researched the kinds of sounds and functionality you’re looking for.

Lots of gear chat in the technique thread.

2 Likes

As if anyone wants to hear about my technique.

the gear thread says it’s for wankers so this was the most appropriate place for me to ask my question

1 Like

thanks both

6:40 in this video, cool story about how this amazing guitarist starting learning to play after completing ultimate guitar hero and adapting her gaming technique to the actual guitar:
oh ffs how do you link to facebook videos again?

decided to junk all my old cracked software etc. and shite plugins and start afresh. upgraded to the latest version of my DAW which turns out needs a USB e-licenser and now realise there’s a notice on the website saying all orders are delayed due to covid. wont even let me use a trial version of the software without a dongle. guess i wont work on any music for the next X amount of weeks.

lol what year is this

just remembered you can work on music the old fashioned way on analogue instruments

6 Likes

Get Cakewalk. It’s fine.

And by “fine” I of course mean “free”

Been using cubase for more than 20 years so my brain is completely geared to its shortcuts and editors etc. Find it excruciating slowly clicking around in other software.

Look, nobody said creating art is supposed be easy

I don’t have an answer for you now but I will try out some stereo delays and chorus at my next gig and report back to you.

2 Likes

To me it depends what sort of style of music you’re playing. My first principle with live sound generally is that I like it to be big, clean, balanced and direct, delivering equally to all areas of the room, but I’m a pop/rock head and so that makes sense. I feel like wide stereo only makes sense for me on headphones, but I could imagine in a small room a little bit used tactically could add some shimmer and interest. I’ll be interested in what others think!

1 Like

Yeah, that sounds like a workable approach! If the stereo is mainly affecting ambience rather than the sort of ‘core’ of the mix you should be able to get some nice stuff going on. Even taking into account that comment about ‘people on one side only hearing half’ etc, you will be able to generate nice variation in the sound for them by having things move in and out and around. Nice!

1 Like

Depends on room and the sound guy, but things are rarely hard panned in a live setting. Plus in a small room you’re getting a lot of sound from the stage so it’ll probably end up pretty mono-y anyway.

If you like it then it’s worth doing on the rare occasion that you’ll get a half decent production.

2 Likes

Really depends, some are absolute mad men for DIs because there’s no feedback/less sound on stage but DI’d bass sounds horrible to me, especially coming back through monitors.

Think if if you’re DI-ing and make a point of saying it’s stereo they’ll just do it. Have played some shite places where the PA is clearly mono though.

1 Like

Would definitely be worth practicing loud in a room with a PA and tweaking accordingly I reckon. Gonna be a bit of a crapshoot at every gig though if you’re putting the whole thing through. Drummers and bass players are available :wink:

1 Like

Raspberry, chocolate and vanilla in one chord!?!

2 Likes

It would definitely be easier, but a live drummer is gonna make for a much more engaging live show imo.

1 Like