getting used to being back in the office: it fucking sucks

hi all

been putting in a lot of office hours (worked sat and sun and will be working until friday evening) and… it’s crushing me in terms of fatigue, slight confusion dealing with people in IRL, multitasking being interrupted/added to by sudden phonecalls. Really odd and kind of getting to me.

Finding myself missing my wife, cats, flat, a LOT more than expected. Anyone else having to transition back to office environments? Bleuch. Help.

Yeah I imagine it’s really difficult, I’m dreading any sense of normality in a weird way, I feel safe in my cocoon here!

1 Like

i did the same thing, kind of created a little existence without much contact with others, and have made my routine, energy, focus all revolve around it.

Any upsides?

Different walls to look at? A sense of structure to your days?

uh… it’s been fun taking the new hire around and talking them through the company/job. they’re bright, capable, friendly, as are 99% of the company, so in terms of being thrown back into it all, this is a lot better than most places.

1 Like

Give it a month or so, I don’t like changes but I always find its surprising how quickly I adapt after a couple of weeks

1 Like

I genuinely want to go back. I don’t enjoy WFH.

3 Likes

I ain’t going back until I get that sweet sweet vaccine in me. Could be some time.

3 Likes

The only good thing about being in an office for this has been that I don’t have any fear of going outside or being round people that some friends have who have spent this time working from home.

1 Like

My office has been moved next to a cool bar in Nottingham so when we go back I’ll appreciate that for a few weeks I think

2 Likes

Go in about once a week to do some stuff I can’t from home and really enjoy it tbh. Feels a bit like a day out, get to cycle in to town and have sushi at lunch. Hardly anyone there to annoy me. Get to see one work pal too.

This all feels very specific to the current situation though. Don’t feel any innate desire to be in more often in a busier environment.

1 Like

I’ve been working from my office since it reopened in September last year. It’s been great for me, personally, as I absolutely hate where I currently live. Being able to get out of the house has done me quite well. It’s still a bit strange though as I’m pretty much the only person on the floor I’m working on. There’s usually up to 700/800 people here. Might start to resent it when people start coming back

1 Like

You could break it up a bit by bringing in a really really big pot of chili then dropping the chili then falling over in the chili

7 Likes

Our offices have reopened on Monday and staff can go in on a voluntary basis.

While I’m extremely fed up with working from home, I’ve decided to wait until 12 April (step 2 on the roadmap) at the earliest to even consider going back in.

1 Like

i don’t love WFH but i don’t hate it either. it’s more that it’s kind of all i know now, and have been in such a weirdly artificial working condition for a full year, which has messed with my head

yeah i wouldn’t normally be here but new hire needs on site training for a couple of weeks

I’m training someone over Zoom which is both difficult and time consuming. It’d be much easier to do it in the office.

1 Like

Could a lot of these feelings be because other people aren’t in the office, so you’re leading a different life to others? If the area where you worked was full of the usual crowds would that normalise things again do you think?

1 Like

At this point there are so many things that I need to do, which would be so much easier to do in the office with a few colleagues around, that I’m almost looking forward to going back a few days a week, if it’s with specific teams of people to get stuff done.

Not back in the office yet, but with the kids gone i’m home alone for the first time in forever. Thought it would be amazing.

But no, proper lonely and shit. God knows what my boss thinks after a year of me moaning about trying to work with kids at home and today i pretty much cry to her out of loneliness!

It was also good as i put the heating on before as with the kids it was justified. Not any more :frowning:

Woe is me!