Ghent, Belgium

Going to Ghent for a weekend in September. Looks like it’ll mainly be booze, chocolate, vegetarian restaurants and walking in and around various religious buildings. For those of you who have been, anything else that’s a must do there?

Did wonder about an afternoon at the coast but Ostend looks a bit bleak.

Nailed it.

4 Likes

Not gonna nip over to Bruges also?

Went there for a day when I was in Brussels a couple of years or so back, so probably not.

Put your shoe in a basket at trollekelder

We went to the SMAK (Municipal Museum of Contemporary Art) in the Citadelpark which was nice with the good weather.

If you don’t want to offend the locals, use the Flemish spelling

2 Likes

Thanks for the helpful tip. I’m sure there’s a very high chance I’ll be writing the name of the place in a public place surrounded by locals, so it’s good to know.

9 Likes

@almal100

I think you’ve got the basics covered. If you do the belfry try and time it for when the sun is setting if you can the view from the top is even more stunning then.

Gimme a shout if you want any bar recommendations, my brother lives there so I’ve been a ton of times

1 Like

Cheers! Would definitely welcome a few bar recommendations.

traditional belgian style places
Trollekelder
Trappistenhuis
Cafe den Turk
Het Waterhuis aan de Bierkant
Gitane (little cafe type place with a great pub dog)
De Geus van Gent (if your out by the uni)

more crafty type places
Dok Brewery (little bit out the centre., but has a few realy good food options)
Brouwbar (tiny tiny micro brewery)
Bar Beenhouwer

others
't Dreupelkot (mad little place that does weird shots, down a little alley next to Het Waterhuis aan de Bierkant)
Jiggers (great cocktails)
the Glengarry (ridiculous whisky selection, does pairings with belgian beers. dangerous)

i can’t think of any food places i’d eagerly recommend, but there’s a street called Oudburg which is just wall to wall restaurants of various persuasions

1 Like

That’s great, thanks very much!

oh just, thought. a canal cruise or getting some kayaks for an afternoon on the canals could be fun

and the Gravensteen was a rip off for what is was when i went last year, so i’d skip that. the Belfort is miles better

I’ve just realised that this is the Belgian equivalent of M&M world, Madame Tussauds, Fake hill, China Whites, Spearmint Rhino

3 Likes

Just came in to check how you were going to be spelling it while abroad but can see that’s covered :face_exhaling:

4 Likes