Gig demographics: a thread of potential stat geekery or just fear of impending middle age

I don’t know about “wrong” necessarily, but I suspect any DiSer who’d attended, say, Wembley Arena on Saturday night to see Don Broco and Neck Deep would have raised the gig’s average age by a clear 5-10 years.

1 Like

this is definitely a genre thing

Bedford represent :metal:

There seems to be more older people going solo these days too, myself included. Hard to tell of course as tastes move on so all the kids could be into completely different scenes, and older people could have been doing this for years. I certainly remember feeling like I was the youngest in the room when I started going to gigs (and not cool or scene enough for the punk / hardcore shows) which seemed to very rapidly flip into me feeling old, still not cool but not giving a fuck. Then a bit of a break and some kids later and I am a balding adult in a room full of other balding adults despite the type of music apparently being the same.

1 Like

I’ve a suspicion Billie Eilish might be really good

Yeah, I’ve only heard a couple of songs, and she sounds alright. Doesn’t look like I’ve got any chance of getting tickets though.

Yeah, she seems to have a lot of hype.

Of my recent batch of gigs Low and Slowdive have tended to attract a bit of a mixture of ages.
Snail Mail and No Age was a wide mix.
I find it interesting that most of the shoegaze reformation acts I saw had the original aging fanbase but Slowdive attracted a good amount of younger interested parties. Perhaps due to their slightly experimentalist bent and a great new LP. I would have expected similar with MBV for similar reasons but I don’t recall that being the case when I saw them last (guttingly I missed them last year though).

Must admit I haven’t detected a particularly laddish element at the shoegaze gigs - but i tend to be towards the front immersed in the music - its possible all elements of annoying laddy behaviour is emanating from the bar behind - I agree with you it shoudn’t do though - its a genre that should be about getting lost in the (loud) music; the absence of chatter and laddy behaviour.

1 Like

I was at that Garage gig and loved it…that does sound annoying though…I was ill and dosed up on whisky and ibuprofen (probably foolishly) and missed the support - got well into the gig and was mercifully oblivious to such shenanigans!
As an aside though I do find gig chatter extremely annoying and it is often many of my age or older that are guilty as charged. It never fails to confound me that they can’t get the chatter out of the way in the pub beforehand (appreciate nights out may be more rare) and then just settle into the gig. Why buy a gig ticket to just chat through it and ruin it for everyone in vicinity.

2 Likes