Gigs and accessibility (band/crowd behaviour)

lol I remember being at this fairly small gig before where the lead singer went into the crowd with the mic and went right up to me (I was standing at or very close to the bar, I think) and started screaming the lyrics ‘lazy boy’ into my face. It was mortifying. But a bit hilarious after the fact.

1 Like

Singer from a band spit in my face at a gig (pre lockdown). Know her somewhat now but was a bit shocking when it happened (though also a bit hot)

1 Like

I actually stopped going to stand up gigs because of a couple of instances of getting singled out when I really didn’t want to be and I found it super stressful and had panic attacks. Including one time where I wasn’t even watching the comedian, I was in the pub upstairs, but had to walk through the audience to get to the loos!

The first time I saw 80s Matchbox Guy nicked a strobe light that had fallen down, walked into the audience and stood in front of me with it on top of his head shining in my face while he was screaming. It was fucking awesome but yeah, imagine if I’d been epileptic or something.

I try to stay away from mosh pits and the crush ring around it. Being a shortarse and not being able to see out is pretty much instant panic attack time.

1 Like

Tune tbf

1 Like

I know this shouldn’t turn into a People Who thread, BUTTTTTTT while we’re slagging off aggressive moshers, i would also like to bemoan the Over Protective Boyfriend™ who plants himself in the bit of crowd with the busiest traffic with his arms locked rigid around his (usually tiny and diminutive) gf because she’s too pwecious and fwagile for a big nasty rock show and tuts and huffs and maneuvers her away any time someone else in the audience has the audacity to breathe. Meanwhile he’s 6’4’ and no other fucker can see the band.

17 Likes

i just get annoyed at couples being overly couply during gigs in any way tbh

starts screaming at Low
:smiley:

3 Likes

Not sure about this one. Are you saying the guy is doing it without the woman asking him to?

Audience participation is actually a bigger part of Guy’s act now that he’s with the DSM IV. At their gigs he usually spends quite a lot of time in the crowd dancing or occasionally just milling around.

I feel like it’s done in a pretty respectful way and he usually seems to involve people who are clearly up it.

This thread’s made me reflect that it’s kind of wild that the predominant style of gigging precludes most forms of actually dancing to music. While it has its place, it’s weird that moshing is one of the few exceptions.

Time and place for all this stuff is the key really, and reading the room a bit. When a crowd is kicking off and everyone is involved - great. When there are a couple of dickheads bashing into all the other people just standing there - not great. But then you get those times where the whole crowd are going crazy and some feel entitled to just stand there right at the front without their personal space being encroached in at all, if that happens I just move to the back or side.

6 Likes

Find it hard to know what to expect from the audience you go to gigs for punk/hardcore/metal acts etc. You can get a bit of gauge from the band themselves and if they have dece principles, hopefully the audience will be respectful but that’s not foolproof. Like, my friends who have been to Wacken festival say that the attendees are the kindest and most respectful people you’ll meet but then some metal shows I’ve been to have been full of wallys who close their eyes and throw their fists around blindly. All very well for some to say ‘don’t stand here if you don’t want etc’ but there’s quite a lot of room for error.

1 Like

So, Autopsy at Maryland Deathfest then…

(Autopsy MDF search should let you know…nsfw)

I Dont Arrested Development GIF

5 Likes

Somehow both less and more grim than I thought it would be.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1681319610291994630?s=20

Selfies?

AS annoying as people doing them are (except on fridays, of course!) i think this is quite twattish behaviour from the singer

1 Like

i had this at a panto last year, the dame started picking on me all the way through coz i was the only one who laughed at her saying her name was felicity bean, but we can call her flic

5 Likes

Find it slightly annoying when people take selfies at gigs (a woman kept taking endless selfies with her mum at a Frames gig recently with me in the background of ALL of them) but don’t think it’s ‘call out from the stage’-worthy behaviour

3 Likes

Just pull funny faces

4 Likes

Was trying to cover up the big Guinness stain down my t-shirt

1 Like