Gigs in the UK: Recommend Venues

music
gigs
venues

A friend from Japan wants to bring his band to the UK and organise their own tour.

Is there anywhere to find a good list of venues or do you guys want to make recommendations of places to play?

Here’s his band:

Brighton:

• Hope and Ruin
  • Green Door Store
  • Sticky Mike’s Frog Bar
  • Joker
  • West Hill Community Hall (not a gig venue per se so you’d need to link up with a promoter)

Leeds… Brudenell or Wharf Chambers.

Great place

Ramsgate music hall

I love sticky mikes and brudenell. Legit thought we were gonna get shanked the first time we wandered down that dark alley to get to sticky mikes though.

Manchester - Star & Garter, Deaf Institute, Sound Control
Bolton - The Alma
Preston - The Ferret
Hull - The Adelphi

Thanks, guys. Keep it up. When I have a good comprehensive list with other towns and cities I’ll find somewhere to put it as a resource for everyone to see, with places I know included.

I went to somewhere in Bristol recently, I forget the name of it but it’s a coffee shop/bar downstairs with a nice little venue in the back, and a record shop upstairs which stayed open during the gig. Quite nice little place if anyone can help with the name.

Moth Club
Boston Music Rooms
Shacklewell Arms

(All London venues)

Glasgow:
BLOC is your best bet, they’re keen to put pretty much anyone on, will pay, usually give the band a bit of food too (not a feast but they’ll get pizza or sutin). Free entry for punters.
Nice N Sleazy
Broadcast
Stereo
13th Note
Hug & Pint
King Tuts (probably need a booking agent to get on here)

Edinburgh:
Sneaky Pete’s
The Mash House (drop me a dm, got bookers details)
Henry’s Cellar Bar
Bannermans
Whistlebinkies

Liverpool:
DROP the Dumbulls
Buyers Club
Magnet
Caledonia
Zanzibar

All places I have put on gigs myself. :smiley:

Along with the Finsbury, Nambucca, Jazz Cafe, 100 Club, Windmill, Stag’s Head, Fiddler’s Elbow, Dublin Castle, Unicorn…

Rise?

Sounds like the Exchange? On the corner near a big roundabout just behind the Stag & Hounds pub?

Sounds familiar. Is it staffed by hipsters? And opposite a tapas place?

Leicester Cookie
Leicester The Musician
Exeter Cavern

Birmingham

Sunflower Lounge
Hare & Hounds
The Flapper

Pretty sure this is Rise, or at least was because it closed a couple of weeks ago(it’s being absorbed by the new Rough Trade opposite the Lanes).

Bristol venues likely to cater to the band in the OP: Louisiana, Cube Cinema, downstairs at Cafe Kino, potentially the Exchange, possibly St John on the Wall.

Great stuff.

What are we missing?

Canterbury
Cardiff
Chatham/Rochester
Derby
Durham
Ipswich
Maidstone
Middlesbrough
Newcastle
Northampton
Norwich
Nottingham
Oxford
Plymouth
Portsmouth
Southampton
Swansea

And various points inbetween?

The Underground and the Junction are all that’s left.