Giro d'Italia 2021 🇮🇹 🚲 🏔 🌧 🌞 🌬 🦈

Starts tomorrow!!!

NO: Pogacar, Roglic, WVA, MVDP, JALA or reigning champ Geoghan Hart.

HOWEVER,

We do have: Bernal, Yates (S), Buchman, Landa, Sivakov, Almeida, Hindley, Carthy, Mollema - GC should be really competitive.

We’ll also have Dan Martin and Vincenzo Nibali, but I don’t expect too much from either of them in the GC - a stage win for either/both would be nice though.

We also have Evenepoel back after his horror crash: could ultimately turn out to be better than anyone else I’ve mentioned so far. Will be fascinating to see how he does here in his first major race for 9 months.

Sprinting/points should be more interesting than normal for the Giro too: Ewan and Sagan should be battling for the honours but we’ve also got three riders looking to return from disgrace, lack of form and COVID respectively: Groenewegen, Viviani and Gaviria. Can see Merlier getting a couple of stages too.

All kicks off with an ITT in Turin on Saturday

Other stages to keep an eye on:

Stage 6: first GC climbing/hill-top finish day
Stage 8: Dirt roads and mountains day 1
Stage 11: Dirt roads and mountains day 2 (Strade Bianchi + Montalcini Day!)
Stage 16: Zoncolan day! :mountain: :crown:

Fair bit of time trialing on offer for all you Ganna fans out there too.

Salute!

5 Likes

isn’t it Evenpoel’s first grand tour ever?

there’s a stage in the middle of this that looks ridiculous, something like 7000m of climbing.

think I want Jai ‘jacket’ hindley to win.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I missed off vlasov! Think I want almeida to win, but he’ll do well to get a podium tbh.

Lovely summary. Exciting times.

There’s absolutely no way Nibali is fit is there? His Instagram was four weeks of X-rays and hospitals until three days ago and then ’I’m fine actually!’. Sure mate.

Also love hosting races just putting on stages that they’re favourite riders can win.

1 Like

A story as old as competitive cycling

Still love the brazenness

1 Like

Also where is Cavendish? Saving him for the tour?

1 Like

Hope so!

1 Like

Looking forward to Landa nearly not nearly winning some stages.

2 Likes

imagine poor old cavendish trying to get up and down this

2 Likes

Imagine if it was your job to do that every day.

…i’d like it

i’m allowed to stop at the top of every hill and have a can of coke and an ice cream aren’t i?

3 Likes

start at 8, wrap it up by about 7pm, nice pizza or two at the end. Lovely.

(edited to give myself an extra hour)

(when do I start?)

2 Likes

I made the mistake of having a pizza in the middle of a big ride once, before i had to climb back up the hill. The pros of having a lovely pizza did not outweigh the cons of trying to digest a lovely pizza on a big col. not recommended

2 Likes

can’t wait for Movistar to ride at the front all day to tire everyone out then completely disappear in the last 30 minutes

Nah, this is their C team so they’ll be riding to anonymous 10th - 15th places and hoping to sneak the teams competition.

2 Likes

Shame they’re not climbing the classic route. But it’s the zoncolan, the best sports amphitheatre in the world

1 Like

Some incredibly pan flat sprinter/transition stages this year. Offset by some classic mountain madness. The Passo Giau day looks chef kiss

Look at this one ffs

Zzzzzz

1 Like

Feels like it’s been much longer than 7 months since the last one. Well excited for this tour of Italy.

1 Like