GODFLESH

This came up in the Cure chat in the Controversial Opinions thread.

2 Likes

Yeah - I mean I don’t want to sound like some sort of luddite ‘keep the music pure’ dickhead or whatever - I don’t really know what it is, just sounds a bit jarring to me, like a live drummer maybe adds a bit more swing to the music, which I like? idk. I don’t really like Ministry either fwiw

1 Like

Meanwhile in Sainsbury’s someone may be walking around with their mind blown.

3 Likes

I think Paul adds something, yet might prefer them as a duo, not much in it. My band supported Cable Regime once in 1989.

Can definitely hear The Cure (Faith era) in this.

Life, Our life
My life, Is expendable
What do you care
Life is money, Profit is life
Money is life, Profit is life
Life is death

2 Likes

I really hope so. :smiley:

1 Like

He’s going to get back with a 4 pack of yoghurt and proclaim them shit I just know it :rofl:

1 Like

I’m sitting in work listening to Streetcleaner and it’s making me want to burn things. :boom:

1 Like

Devastator / Mighty Trust Krusher / Life Is Easy - that run of those three tracks just nails the album. It leads to them and it trails away from them. An amazing centre-piece. It is consistent throughout - but that run of three is like falling down a hole and never coming out.

1 Like

Amazed at everyone saying how good they are live. Saw them at ATG then Streetcleaner at Damnation last year and left early both times, thought they were one of the dullest things I have seen on stage

1 Like

Here he is!

3 Likes

Think they’re fine on record though, one of those which I wouldnt put on but I also wouldnt skip

I think the drum machine here adds that filthy conveyor-belt feeling. Real pulpy sound. Dark.

2 Likes

Sorry, not coming here to be like blahh youre all wrong! Just find it interesting how people can get such different things out of music

1 Like

No need to be sorry, totally get people don’t get them, which is fine.

2 Likes

Yeah like I say I think theyre fine on record but not one I’ve explored. Tbf at ATG Justin knocked a laptop off right at the start which delayed them and I think thr hanging about got me restless. Then at Damnation it seemed a bit of a chore compared to everything else. Probably would have got more out of it if I loved Streetcleaner but I just found them really dull

You see a few people at their shows who clearly are having outer body experiences. Or you did, I’ve not seen them since 1991. I remember just feeling like I needed to be totally still and let the sound wave through me. I remember trembling once as they played, like starting to shake, which sounds bad, but I was just totally lost in the music. Can’t even remember the band that played after them that time. Like they had cleansed me somehow with a sound so clinically dirty. Went outside and took in the air and was like fuck.

1 Like

YOU WERE IN CABLE REGIME??? I know from previous posts you were in the scene but had no idea about that.

Absolutely LOVE Godflesh, probably may favourite band ever. Have spent 30 odd years collecting as much JKBroadrick stuff as possible (and because of Techno Animal, Kevin Martin too). Got me into soooooo much other music - as @uncle_retrospective said above, they helped me get into dance music (albeit via a different song, the remix of Slavestate) and sent me down a road of hoovering up any adjacent stuff - like Cable Regime!

2 Likes

As in this?

That’s them!

1 Like

Qobuz comes through for once!

1 Like