Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Ireland/UK Tour Sept/Oct 2024

no seats from previous experience

Yeah, definitely no seats. Saw them there a few years back and it was amazing, best venue

what’s this in reference to?

Getting some strange YouTube recommendations!

ahem!

1 Like

PCBE

What are they originally reacting to?

Opening an email from Wax Face Toys.

2 Likes

why is this a problem please fill me in

Barry Hogan is the former director/owner of ATP, a music promotor who didn’t pay the bands they booked, didn’t pay his taxes, didn’t pay the suppliers, didn’t refund the customers who booked tickets for cancelled events, didn’t pay his debts with ticket agencies, etc. etc.

ATP went bankrupt multiple times, leaving a trail of destruction in its wake.

His attempts at running a business keep reappearing under different names, such as Willwall, Ambidextrious Events, Wax Face Toys, CPR and others.

6 Likes

But y’know, Dyson Airblades!

1 Like

Absolutely mad that after all these years Hogan gets to book this vs all the other promoters in the country who, like, actually do good and reputable work and could have sorted it instead. I love Godspeed but this reeks of them having their head in the sand and is such a crap decision.

2 Likes

Possibly naïve question here, as I don’t really know how these things work. But do Godspeed really need Hogan or indeed any promoters for two nights at the electric ballroom etc?

Understand why this may benefit smaller acts but shirley their reputation precedes them.

1 Like

also completely naive, but why would they need them for those dates and then not for Glasgow/Coventry? Obviously there’ll be promoters for those dates too, but why different ones?

In the vast majority of cases the promoter actually puts the gig on, rather than the venue. Think of the venue just as a hire space: the promoter’s job is to liase with the band and their agent to hire the best kind of venue for the best fee. A lot of bands will work with national promoters like SJM or LiveNation who can easily slot cookie cutter tours in eg Academy venues, but ones who prefer a less anonymous/more tailored approach will pick people like Hogan to do either one show or multiple shows.

2 Likes

Presumably those cities have decent local promoters the booking agent has worked with in the past or trusts to sell tickets/promote locally/pick the right venue.

3 Likes

Ah, had no idea this was Hogan related, always just see them posting Oh Sees merch

Yeah had never heard of wax face toys but curiously clicked and there’s equally a bunch of various Warren Ellis merch. Hmm.

I’ve just worked this out after listening to it ‘wrong’ four times. Looking forward to hearing it ‘right’ next time.

1 Like

Yeah, Capsule (who put on Supersonic fest) are doing the Coventry date.

1 Like