Going to gigs in your own

The 414 on Coldharbour Lane in Brixton was the best place to go solo clubbing

this sounds like a nightmare! It’s why I struggle - just want to hide away in a corner and eat, without being bothered or drawing attention to myself. Seems impossible in lots of restaurants.

1 Like

Last couple of times I’ve been away for work I’ve just (a) gone and bought some wankers beers and (b) gone and bought a Tim Hortons meal deal and consumed the lot in my hotel room :smiley:

2 Likes

thank goodness for that :slight_smile:

Go to gigs on my own all the time. Finding a babysitter is a chore and anyway the TV is strangely uninterested in almost all the music I like. I do have a gig buddy in Cardiff, but that’s about 10% of the shows I get to. I reckon it’s alright tbf tbh, means you can concentrate on the music. Don’t know what I would have done in the days before phones though, god forbid I would have to talk to a stranger. Also, if you bought the ticket in advance and drive in, it’s a cheap night out.

1 Like

Almost all the gig’s I go to are alone. I’ve three today that I’ll be going solo to.

1 Like

I wonder if anyone on DiS goes to more gigs than you do?! :thinking::+1::grinning:

3 in a day?
Amazing.
If you’re not working as a reviewer or something you probably should be :grin:

There’s a few DiS-ers that are way ahead of me in terms of attending gigs. Most others are ahead of me in all other categories.

1 Like

Poor grammar and no artistic ability makes me a bad reviewer. Have you read any of my “reviews” on the Last Night’s Gig Was thread😊?

I do it quite a bit but not normally for big shows. Off to see Slipknot on my own next week though, and there will probably be 30-60mins between them and the support i reckon, so that’ll be pretty boring

Mad that people go to gigs as a hobby

Yep. Better than I and many others could manage tbf.
Good photos usually too.
You alone are a better gig review section than most music sites.

2 Likes

Put my money where my mouth is and went for two pints on my own this evening.

Sat at the bar, read my book - magical

I like going to gigs on my own except when I panic bought a ticket for NIN at the Royal Albert Hall which included a drinks reception and it was like an awkward networking lunch for school shooters.

Drank a lot of free / actually incredibly expensive when you consider the ticket price wine though.

5 Likes

I’ve only done this once and didn’t enjoy it but it was pre-smartphone.

I’m considering giving it another go though. Would be interested to hear more experiences from women here

I used to work away a lot so I’ve done this sort of thing loads - cinema, gigs, restaurants, you name it.

The only time it’s ever been weird was in Durham at a nice Italian. I had a 3 course meal and read my book, lovely. Then as the waiter brought my bill he said he had to ask me, because the staff were all wondering, was I a student and had I come out for my birthday. It still makes me sad to this day

I’m not a fan of going to gigs alone. But then I’m really self conscious and anxious so I’m paranoid. I know I really shouldn’t care.

Thanks for the kind words. Cheers.

1 Like