Good Albums 2010s (No Chat)

Band
Album
Year
Short Description

Russian Circles
Memorial
Vacillating from somber-yet-soaring melodies on one track to pummeling metal heft on the next.

3 Likes

Joanna Newsom
Divers
Probably her most accessible album, offers nothing new from her but benefits from being a deep concept album, heart wrenchingly beautiful and moving in places. It works as a whole album and takes the listener on a wonderful journey. Time will destroy all.

8 Likes

Big Thief
Capacity
Big Thief’s sophomore album beautifully excavates family history and trauma into a delicate, intricately built folk rock record.

5 Likes

The Sekiro soundtrack.
Yuka Kitamora.

Fascinating aural journey into Japanese feudal society. Despair, religion, violence, grief, suffering and victory. She captures a lot with the mood of the music. Even if you don’t like gaming the music stands up on its own, devastatingly powerful at times.

Wand
Golem
Heavy spacey psych but with a singer with the voice of an angel (which is why their more recent stuff sounds like In Rainbows-era Radiohead)

Radiohead
A Moon Shaped Pool
Pretty good in the end, wasn’t it?

5 Likes

The Jezabels (Australia)
Prisoner
This is some lush pop rock, a keyboard and guitar with some strong vocals throughout. It has a handful of good singles, a couple of their better songs were on EPs before this, but I tend to judge albums by consistency and this was I think one of the most consistent albums of the decade. Some songs like Endless Summer are immediate, others like Trycolour took some time to grow. I think Hayley Mary can be accused of oversinging but it works pretty well in her case.

The Joy Formidable (Wales)
The Big Roar
This feels like one of the last of the great British indie revival albums to me, the trio makes a tonne of noise while staying pretty melodic throughout it. The Everchanging Spectrum of A Lie is a big album opener, Austere, Whirring, Cradle, and a few others are tracks you can keep coming back to.

City Calm Down (Australia)
Echoes In Blues
If The National had a slightly more post-punk edge, I think you’d get this. It has this serious tone that made other stuff I listened to in 2018 seem less significant and somewhat juvenile.

1 Like

The Lovely Eggs - Cob Dominoes
Quintessentially English madness with a northern vibe. Good, good fun, musical references in all the right places…and tunes galore.

Not an album but I suggested to a friend we should try to emulate the sound of Birmingham and a post Electric Wizard / Black Sabbath sound after he recommended Electric Wizard a few months earlier, and I loved them.

It’s not great or groundbreaking, but I freaking love the jam we did circa 2011 in Brum at Blotto studios, really getting the vibe off each other and pushing forward. We did 4 gigs, 1 was truly great, miss Darren like a brother that never was, met him 1st year Senior school and we got separated from sitting together because we laughed so much, because, in ways, we loved each other. His older sister at his wake, whom I’d never met before told me that he was always talking about me and I cried on the spot, just pure real emotion. Sorry, getting to heavy with this. Anyway, check the guitar and R.I.P. Darren…

3 Likes

Frank Ocean
Nostalgia, Ultra

Future pop, dreamy abstract R&B, passionate, yearning, wry, smart. Annoys Don Henley by finally making Hotel California not shit.

3 Likes

Julia Holter
Have You In My Wilderness

Lush baroque pop. Best album of the 2010s.

5 Likes

Darkside
Psychic
Jaar & Harrington update 70’s rock for the digital age.
Comes with a live show I’ll tell my grandkids about.

6 Likes

Aged incredibly well this.

1 Like

It’s an amazing record. Every song is superb.

1 Like

Frank Ocean
Blonde
A genre-defying study of our times. Seeps into your soul.

6 Likes

Bjork
Vulnicura

Bjork documents the end of her relationship by ripping her heart out and eventually piecing her life back together over the course of an album built from strings layered with dark beats and gut wrenching visceral vocal excavations.

5 Likes

Frank Ocean
Channel Orange

Frank’s best album, but somehow the third one to be mentioned in this very young thread. Odd

4 Likes

They’re all so good though. Whichever one I’m listening to at the time tends to be my favourite.

3 Likes

Nothing
Guilty of Everything
This is kind of a throwback to 90s Shoegaze with other genres like rock, and noise thrown in as well. Nothing revolutionary, but done really well, and IMO, not a single duff track. What made me move from liking this band to loving them was hear this track B&E live.

At the gig the bit at 3.20ish mark where it fades and comes back was utterly intense. Fierce drums and just a wall of guitar sound.

2 Likes