Good graphics

My mate was taking about this video last night and was basically saying the ability to import models directly from cinematic work and not have to piss about with lighting should save developers loads of time and £££ which means we could see game development time halve or the cost of games reduce loads.

1 Like

It means focus can be shifted onto other areas of development and user created content such as maps can look more like something a dev can churn out due to the fact AI handles things like lighting and geometry displacement and character special awareness. A lot of tricks like squeezing through a crack will happen automatically happening if geomatry conditions dictate it rather than hack g to code specific parts of the map to prompt it

CoD Modern Warfare 8: now with Actual PTSD™!

2 Likes

I mean that would be great but the reality of the industry could just as easily mean redundancies and more workload on those who remain because the current timescales are likely considered fine.

(Plus the cost to produce might come down but whether consumers will see that is another matter as I believe a lot of costs are coming through from the console makers to offset the loss-leader of their production and so forth. But maybe I misunderstood this side of things.)

It’s hard to tout progress in video games because people always end up getting it ingrained in their skull that things always used to be this way. When in actuality that game you remember looking this good doesn’t at all and the combat is way stiffer and the controls are floaty and react bizarrely and look clumsy to in certain tile sets and geomatry conditions. Nostalgia is incredible in that regard. J dont miss that Arkham combat system one bit but at the time it was the best thing we had!

2 Likes

No it means b tier and indie studios suddenly have a lot more scope in their projects

Yeah I mean that bit will be great and I hope it works out for them of course.

I was just thinking in terms of the big studio stuff really.

They tend to play a game of one upmamship. There has always been scope to cut costs when the tech advances but in order to stand out in the AAA side of things is by making your game have the wow factor. So costs will probably increase! Joys of unsustainable business models

Like a small studio can churn a game like Llague Tales of Innocence or a mid tier one could Hellblafe which look and perform a hell of a lot better than games that cost fortunes more last gen, and still look good… hell great on current platforms, but the majors are still running absurd budgets

1 Like

The real people who’ll win here are all the guys who make money off Unreal Engine licences. :smiley:

Epic are the real winners, between unreal.and fortnite they be $$$$

1 Like

My Rocket League topper is gonna look :fire:

6 Likes

That explains why when you have their Steam rival installed they just keep dropping free games on you.

2 Likes

The Arkham system is a weird one to pick on - it’s still being used as it’s easier than putting together a less rhythmic more involved system. There were plenty of alternatives in play in that gen and indeed the previous gen or two. It was a stylistic choice, not really one made due to technical limitations.

Good news for walking simulator fans (and I count myself among them). I suspect people are still going to look like possessed waxworks, though.

2 Likes

If she can fly then why did she bother with all that climbing at the start?

Pigeon logic: only bother with flying if you really have to.

1 Like