Good Music Docs

Hello folk,

I watched Dig the other night (documentary about the Dandy Warhols and Brian Jonestown Massacre and their respective early days and the up and down relationship between the pair of them). It was cracking, and I want to see more.

Only other one of note I’ve seen before was Stalking Pete Doherty. Who’s got more suggestions?

Words xx

1 Like

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart is a good one. It’s the making of Wilco’s Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

4 Likes

Pearl Jam Twenty.

THIS IS NOW THE PEARL JAM THREAD!!!

1 Like

The Devil and Daniel Johnston.

Obviously.

2 Likes

but they’re all so irritating in that doc

2 Likes

Loud Quiet Loud, the one about the pixies reunion, is very good. also Anvil. Actually, mainly Anvil. Watch Anvil

• Anvil: The Story of Anvil - I’d recommend this to anyone with a pulse.
  • Devil and Daniel Johnston - as already mentioned
  • The Punk Singer - which is about Kathleen Hanna out of Bikini Kill
  • Decline of Western Civilisation - only if you’re into punk music stuff, think it’s a little hard to find now as well.
  • Shut Up and Play The Hits - I feel really mixed on this. Liked it a lot at the time but seems a lot wankier now that LCD Soundsystem have reformed. More of a live concert with some talking/backstage stuff inbetween. If you love LCD then it’s probably worth a try.
1 Like

Not sure how much I’d need to paid to watch a feature length documentary about Pete Doherty. Upwards of a tenner, definitely

this^

1 Like

Shut Up and Play the Hits
Anvil
Time is Illmatic
Beats, Rhymes and Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest
Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap

If it’s still on iPlayer, Rodney P’s hip-hop documentary on BBC4 last month was very good

2 Likes

Fugazi Instrument
Slint Breadcrumb Trail

interesting subject, shit film though

1 Like

Not seen it for years but tend to remember No Direction Home being really good. Recently watched I’ll Be Me on Netflix which was interesting but also very sad.

3 Likes

ooh another one i love is Leonard Cohen’s Bird on a Wire, reduces me to a blubbering mess every single time

1 Like

Mistaken for Strangers is good

5 Likes

One of my housemates bought this months ago but haven’t got round to watching it yet. Now I’m quite tempted to try it tonight.

it’s bad, dude. amateurish film-making, doesn’t back up any of its arguments (“because mcdonalds!!!”), has far too many interviews with the brohats of the scene, i could go on but for balonz’ sake i wont.

The Making Of documentaries for Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town and The River are all good though the latter is a bit patchy.

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart is on YouTube

Amy, obviously.

Also enjoyed this Acid House doc

I like them all!

1 Like