Good Music (or otherwise) Books/Biographies

very true for people like us maybe

Not sure my mum would agree

Ah yeah fair point. Let’s say any Beatles fan born after 1970.

1 Like

the reverse state is worse though

I’ve had to unfollow a friend on social media. A few reasons actually but one is that he hates the Beatles and cannot keep it to himself. It;s a generation thing I think - he was a punk in the 70s and has carried what seems to be an irrational dislike for them with him. He can like/ dislike what he wants of course but it is very tedious when he keeps bringing it up

Two I always recommend when this topic comes up:

Yeah Yeah Yeah by Bob Stanley
A detailed, brilliantly researched but also thoroughly idiosyncratic and very funny history of British pop music.

Love Goes to Buildings on Fire by Will Hermes
A book about an amazing period of the 1970s in New York when punk, disco, hip hop, minimalism and lots of other new musical movements were all being created within a few years and a few square miles of each other.

2 Likes

Questlove’s Mo Meta Blues is fucking wonderful. He is one of the world’s finest people and I don’t think there is anyone on the planet with more knowledge of a wider range of music than him.

4 Likes

Hey something we agree on :slight_smile:

1 Like

Genuinely think that one of life’s biggest tests is learning how to hold an opinion on The Beatles and not be a knob. It’s really hard. So many subsections. Like the “I can’t take or leave the rest of their albums but The White Album’s the best album ever made” crowd.

pure uncritical worship is the only acceptable state for me

1 Like

I genuinely start welling up if I think about the Beatles too hard

1 Like

Give me a minute while I try to imagine that

2 Likes

Ha ha ha! Whilst I don’t do that, I know what you mean

just give me a minute will you

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Anyone read Meet Me In The Bathroom? Obvs should be a bullseye of a book for the DiS crowd and I keep eyeing it up myself but something about it seems to suggest it’s trying too hard to make out that that scene was, I dunno, more significant than it was?

1 Like

I once told an acquaintance that I didn’t really like Sergeant Pepper and he said that was the most offensive thing he’d ever heard

Julian Cope’s Head On is an excellent read. You normally get Repossessed with it too, which isn’t quite as good, but still good.

Yeah that’s the stuff.

I’ll be honest - I don’t like it all that much either.

Oh fuck just remembered I’m seeing my full on humourless Beatles obsessive mate tomorrow - gonna start an argument with him about how Be Here Now’s a better album than Sgt Peppers

3 Likes

Concerned that it has been ten minutes now and nobody has ‘liked’ my recommendation of Mo Meta Blues by Questlove. It is a wonderful book and it’s lack of ‘likes’ is lessening my opinion of the community members who are active in this thread.

1 Like

I’ve given you a like now. I’ve not read the book, but I’m sure it’s wonderful