Good nicknames for things

Feet = dogs. Saw a video on Instagram about a tall family who were showing their feet and explaining their shoe sizes which i didn’t appreciate but the top comment was “put those dogs away!!” which made me laugh out loud and i enjoy this nickname a lot now. Have shared this anecdote with some of the kids i tutor and one 8yo dropped his salt art then stepped all over it by accident and said “now i need to wash my salty dogs” :joy:

Police = filth. I think this comes from my phase of reading crime novels set in the east end but this nickname always tickles me. Think its just the sheer contempt behind it

Also the abbreviation system for stations, Willesden junction = willy j. Clapham junction = clappy j and so on

11 Likes

Gutties for your knockabout trainers that you don’t mind getting battered to fuck.

2 Likes

6 Likes

I like this one too. Also - Plod. Overheard some football fans once saying they “gave plod the runaround”

4 Likes

‘Apples & stairs’ for pears

7 Likes

I like how they always call Jesus Christ “the Captain of Industry” in No More Jockeys

1 Like

7 Likes

Whispering Death is the best nickname I’ve ever heard. Whispering Death!

2 Likes

in Northamptonshire, sometimes we say “mi duck” instead of “my friend”

3 Likes

Except Corby where it’s hen x

2 Likes

Teggies - teeth

3 Likes

no lakes in Corby?

The very best lake

1 Like

Not sure it counts as a nickname but I absolutely love “amethyst deceiver”

2 Likes

Norks

1 Like

I read somewhere that “the slop” was an old-timey nickname for the filth. Came from the backwards slang, “ecilop”. Think it’s a great nickname!

3 Likes

Coors Banquet Beer

1 Like

4 Likes

Slip slops for flip flops worn at home like slippers. My family hates it

2 Likes

Dogs for feet is a great one. When my feet get tired I say ‘My dogs are barking’

1 Like