Good song, horrible recording

Sot too, I didn’t even realise there were lyrics on that track until I heard the solo Tobin version. VoT sounds perfectly lo-fi good on the cleaner or more acoustic songs but the rockers really lose out.

1 Like

Can’t stop thinking about this.

What’s wrong with it?

2 Likes

The production on some of the B-sides (‘My Insatiable One’, ‘He’s dead’, ‘The Big Time’) sounds better than the album i think.

1 Like

Horrible strings, live version is infinitely better. Johnny kind of ruins radiohead for me these days.

Seriously, explain “horrible strings”.

They’re incredible.

7 Likes

Explanation: i dont like them.

2 Likes

A recent one that comes to mind is Brokenlegged by Sinai Vessel.

I don’t mind unpolished/lo-fi or whatever, but actually find it off-putting how unbalanced it all sounds, especially the horrible drums. To the point where I kept waiting for an announcement saying they’d accidentally uploaded an unmastered version or something.

I really like the songs and arrangements too.

TDOSI

I always think Bossanova sounds tinny and shite. Is that just my CD/also vinyl?

all of Enter the Wu-Tang 36 chambers

wuuuut

4 Likes

sounds like someone’s put a cushion over the speaker

1 Like

The production on the LP in question ain’t nothing to f**k with in my opinion.

2 Likes

They debuted it on a late night show and ripped the arse off it - then the album came and it just sounded so weak in comparison.

In fairness, I think the national always sound more tearing live (and it’s a nice duality for them to have, as their studio sound would never work live and vice versa), but I really was disappointed.

The outcry was so great that they then recorded the ‘single’ version, but, as I said above - they couldn’t catch that feeling, and I guess that’s why they didn’t try to in the first place. It sounds like shit.

Unfortunate a great live performance made both studio versions sound tame. Don’t know if that’s a failing of the recording, or a weird quirk of The National, whose bangers always sound better live. They’d probably argue that by and large they’ve massively benefited from having a unique studio sound, and I’d agree tbh.

1 Like

The National have never ripped the arse off of anything

4 Likes

Dunno, mate, your mum couldn’t sit down for weeks.

2 Likes

The nasally vocals just go really well with the whole aesthetic of that album, that whole plasticky outsider glam thing. Even the video for Trash, it all works. That was my first exposure to them and at the time it was as unique to me as The Drowners etc probably were for other people

7 Likes

most 80s punk/hardcore/alt-rock
most 90s grunge/post hardcore etc

most of the good music tbh.

1 Like

…And Justice For All obviously sounds like shit.

The remaster still didn’t really add ‘bass’.

1 Like