Good transitions between two songs

Have we done this thread before? I don’t think so.

So I’m a huge fan of how albums and EPs flow together, and really well-done transitions give me goosebumps. Obviously, it’s difficult to do this with youtube links but I’ll try.

Here’s a particular favourite. I love a chaotic ending leading into a quiet intro of a new song. King Crimson did it well on 21st Century Schizoid Man leading into I talk to the wind, but my favourite is how Ascension Day cuts suddenly to the piano intro of After The Flood on Laughing Stock.

To:

Another good example is on Surfer Rosa. The quick snare drum hit just after Bone Machine and we’re right into Break My Body:
From

To

Any more?

4 Likes

Can’t imagine the intro to While My Guitar Gently Weeps without Lennon’s ‘EY UP!’ right after Bungalow Bill ends.

5 Likes

From master of my craft into borrowed time at 3:00 ish

9 Likes

For Reverend Green into Fireworks on Strawberry Jam sets up those two songs as a crowning achievement in the Animal Collective discog for me

4 Likes

Rubber Ring segueing into Asleep on the 12" of The Boy With The Thorn In His Side :+1:

2 Likes

Optimistic going into In Limbo on Kid A. I love that little transition and the way the main progression of In Limbo floods out of it.

9 Likes

Over and Over into You of All People by Wye Oak off The Louder I Call, The Faster It Runs is a recent example - absolute magic

2 Likes
7 Likes

I could easily fill this up with Pumpkins transitions, but I’ll go with Thru the Eyes of Ruby to Stumbleine for now. The way the Mellon Collie nighttime theme surfaces is absolutely brilliant, and kind of creates the feeling of carrying the entire album into night and perfectly fades into the quiet darkness of Stumbleine.

3 Likes

If I Were Going into Gentlemen by the Afghan Whigs is one of the most perfect transitions ever. I love the way the drums false start out of the fading bus sounds and then finally kick in for good before that “Now” and guitar explosion.

2 Likes

Love a good transition. Neutral Milk Hotel is the one tht springs to mind for me where it’s done really well. Aeroplane Over the Sea is full of transitions - King if Carrot Flowes 1 into 2 and 3, Two Headed Boy into The Fool and then again from untitled into Two Headed Boy 2 at the end of the album

5 Likes

Morning Glory - Swamp Song Part 2 - Champagne Supernova

2 Likes

Dig For Fire ends with them playing Allison live in an empty stadium

2 Likes

Janelle Monae - Cold War into Tightrope.

6 Likes

Trail of Dead - Giants Causeway/Far Pavilion
Blood Brothers - Feed Me To The Forest/Trash Flavoured Trash
All of Colours by Between the Buried and Me
Fucked Up -opening two tracks

1 Like

On Dav8d Comes to Life

3 Likes

Sleater-Kinney - Let’s Call It Love to Night Light

4 Likes

Holy Fuck

Lovely Allen into The Pulse

2 Likes

This entire album I guess (and back to the start again)

3 Likes

Also Mew - Special into Zookeeper’s Boy is a good one

4 Likes