Good UK/European festival line ups 2019

Very suspect indeed. Though I might mosey on down there on Saturday. Do you just rock up without a ticket?

Has anyone here who’s actually been to Wilderness confirm that it is as Tory as everyone makes out? Think it’s the only weekend I can go to a camping festival with my gf this summer and we’d both love to see Robyn but also don’t want to see any former Prime Ministers responsible for destroying our country

Couple of friends of mine went once and it involved a four course meal cooked by a celebrity chef.

Sure theres alternatives to the gourmet dining tent tho

Do you know who’s headlining this year?

‘Eats Everything’ apparently!

Off to rockaway beach in Bognor at the start of January; it falls on my birthday weekend and the mrs has kindly sorted for us. The line looks much more interesting than I’d expect, and not the usual retro fest - eg. Fontaines dc, hey colossus, Black Country new road. Anyone been before? Is it draughty chalets and a pervasive smell of over cooked hot dogs wherever you go?

Indietracks this weekend coming. Never been before, really looking forward to it. Just hoping for better weather than this weekend.

Anyone else going?

2 Likes

I’ve been a couple of times now and it’s fantastic. New hotel rooms etc… pub quizes, bowling and darts tournaments, movies on the big screen, talks etc… all on top of the music (they’ve been slightly ahead of trend with the smaller bands booked each year). I used to attend ATP festivals so it holds a little nostalgia for me as well.

It’s great.

It’s funny how Rockaway Beach has gradually shifted from being something that might get posted in the Terrible Festivals thread to one that’s actually pretty decent. I’ve got a lot of respect for a UK festival like that for chipping away and getting better and better.

1 Like

I’m not sure any of their line ups should have been in the terrible festivals thread…

Even their first line up had the likes of the Fall, Ghostpoet, Nadine Shah, PSB, Young Fathers, Spiritualised and Errors to name a few.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess what I meant was that – post-ATP – a lot of us thought those kind of holiday camp festivals were doomed to fail and a total disaster waiting to happen. But actually they seem to have mostly nailed it.

Haven’t been for the last couple of years but I love Indietracks - the nicest and drunkest festival I think I’ve ever been to.

The site is great, the vibes are lovely, it’s big enough that you get a decent crowd but not too big, minor league bands get to play as stadium heroes for a weekend (Martha will be the big ones this year), the late night DJ sets are always super fun. I just love it. Hopefully can make it back next year.

2 Likes

Need more non-UK based bands and something that pulls crowds a bit more.
But seem to be doing a fine job thus far.

Yeah totally, probably helps a lot that it’s run by Butlins (Big Weekends) as well so has a sounder financial base.

This has got me properly excited for it! We’re camping just down the road and they’re putting on DJs too so think it might be a weekend of silliness at this rate!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, that all sounds really good, really looking forward to it. Tickets are (relatively) dirt cheap given what you get, but I guess for butlins the holiday camp would be sitting idle for first week of January otherwise so better for them to fill it with something.

How’s the booze situation? Better organised and more attractive than ATP, i hope? the one just about drinkable pint (guiness) always ran out on the first afternoon and I had to spend the rest of the weekend bringing bottles of beer in in my oversized socks.

It’s pretty much the same (ie. Pretty bad). It’s actually quite easy to take your own beers in though and the bar in the main tent has a better selection than the stages. I think the only addition since ATP to the stage bars is Hop House 13.

1 Like

No but I went to Pully For Noise a few years back which had a very similar set up and that was great (but expensive)

1 Like

Not going this year for the first time in ages. Lovely little festival. Can only make saturday though and now Desperate Journalist have dropped out its not worth the ticket (and beer) price

Oof. Can’t do Le Guess Who, that looks like a good replacement.