Google Home

sorry :frowning:

started telling mine to play relaxing music for 20 minutes when i can’t sleep

I was in a band a while back where I was the only one who didn’t straighten his hair.

Because I have no hair.

They did look great though.

Was very shocked the first time I saw a man straightening his hair. Was in a gym changing room.

This is a step too far.

Keep it in the bedroom, man.

In an Alexa Skill workshop today. What should I build?

Aha! A new way to annoy Clive. Thanks.

My current status: A Google Home is absolutely useless with no internet.

2 Likes

My whole Christmas break was punctuated by idiots doing this, or it just randomly going off. Fucking mental.

Clive is Scottish. Alexa often says she doesn’t understand him. :joy:

No-one? Why on earth not?

Your phone’s been telling that girl you like everything you say about her on here

Because ordering from Amazon is not so fiendishly difficult you need an easier way of doing it?

4 Likes

Haha. Ha. Haaaa.

:neutral_face:

1 Like

Wait, do you ask Alexa the questions or is she guessing what you’ve thought of?

I should get that one setup!

We all knew you were being deliberately provocative and going to try to use them in some tedious strawman argument about how Echo Dots are terrible? :smiley:

(Or else you actually do think these dash buttons are useful in which case I’m not really sure what to say to that.)

In general my only gripe with Alexa is it has big issues understanding me still on some things, even when I’m right next to it. Moreover we have an Amazon Music account but it still feels like Alexa can’t find specific albums but can find tracks from those albums to play when you just ask for a ‘best of’.

Obviously the main issue is that it’s my wife’s dot which means she has the app on her phone that allows her to type in what you want. But there are some artists I don’t really even know how to say or else the album title is a nightmare. After 3 attempts at

Alexa, play the album Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea by Pee Jay Harvey

being met with failure, I gave up and just said, “Play songs by PJ Harvey,” which naturally included a bunch of tracks from that album.

(There’s also the downside of a chatty toddler because often you’re saying what you want to hear and SOMEONE is loudly saying, “…and then Elsa and Anna come to visit Twilight Sparkle…” and Alexa doesn’t understand a word of it, or your wife asks you a question just as you’ve said “Alexa?” and then it responds with “sorry, I don’t understand that” in the middle of your conversation.)

Oh dang, you’ve rumbled me.

But with these stellar usage examples you’re really selling Alexa.

I’d genuinely challenge this. Ordering from Amazon these days send to be heading in a bit of an easyJet direction. Prompts for money off of you apply for a credit card or bulk buy vouchers as credit on your account, and nags to subscribe to Prime…

Whereas Alexa thankfully makes those lengthy laborious tasks a cinch. Hours saved that would otherwise be wasted by, er, putting an album on.

Bunch o’ mooks.

Dunno mate, our squeezebox stopped working so it’s replacing that at this time.

I love how you think Hive is way better despite being part of the same thing

What thing is that?

The Internet of things and the automation of the home via the use of devices wired into apps. Alexa is controlled in various ways.

I would point out that stuff like The Magic Door and 20 questions that Owen mentions are cool things. There are a bunch of apps on the Echo device. It represents ways to interact. It could be used to control your hive plugs, for example.

Dunno, it’s just a tool, basically.