Got any controversial music opinions?

Boygenius? More like Boyboring amiright?

Sorry about that. They are just very boring.

8 Likes

Think the thing with 100gecs is, just try and take a lot of styles of music that were creatively spent 20 years ago and make them modern and relevant. I don’t think it’s in like a postmodern, ironic way either, I think they just love them.

The most remarkable thing is, some of the time I think it works. I can’t listen to it very often. But I admire it.

I love The Beatles but ELO made more consistently better albums than them and i think on balance I’d rather listen to ELO

3 Likes

:musical_note: We all live in a ELO submarine… :musical_note:

14 Likes

The band the beatles could’ve been

1 Like

This is the controversial/harsh version of the opinion I was looking to post on this thread.

A few of Boygenius’ songs and the solo material of the members? Brilliant. Could probably make a tight 11 track best of that I’d love.

75% or so of it is pleasant but really boring though, unfortunately

3 Likes

This is the best indie album of the year, in spite of what the first track makes you believe

4 Likes

I had exactly that convo with my atd last week; that while God Approved Insurance Plan slaps, it’s really not representative of the record. Cracking album.

1 Like

:musical_note: I am just a poor boygenius, though my story’s seldom told :musical_note:

1 Like

I really like 100 Gecs and though I wouldn’t say it’s a prank - they are extremely silly, which they’re aware of and leaning into. I find it quite refreshing, and a lot of the tracks have great hooks too.

1 Like

This is ace!

as well as being one of the most unlikeable people around, Elton John has a grand total of 0 good songs

7 Likes

:musical_note: And you can tell everybody, TKC’s wrong :musical_note:

10 Likes

Yep, like one or two of their solo ones. Particularly ‘Night Shift’ by LD. Also really liked the BOCC record. Found the Boygenius album very bland though.

1 Like

Still stand by this.

Got Mysterious Production of Eggs on. That’s a 10/10.

3 Likes

Yeah, definitely the best song by any of them, is brilliant. Rest of that album is…fine.

Think pre-this thread which it would have been perfect for I said that BOCC was the best thing either Bridgers or Oberst have done and got pelters for it. Stand by it though.

1 Like

(As a non fan.)

St Anger is their best album and the drums sound good.

1 Like

Yo La Tengo are a bit like Sonic Youth but for children (in a good way)

6 Likes

Did you realise this when you put an extra o on Tengo?

Yes