Got any controversial opinions?

Driving in the middle lane is mostly fine.

5 Likes

You can undertake in Aus so it doesn’t matter as much

1 Like

What the fuck

9 Likes

Honestly, I do it quite a bit. Not only is it mostly fine, it’s often good.

3 Likes

not fine for everyone around you though! It does allow for the sweeping overtake though so its not all bad

1 Like

It’s fine if it’s busy and there’s also a fair amount of traffic in the left lane - it can even be safer, as it allows drivers to use more space, but in recent journeys I’ve found the left lane is often pretty empty and people have been driving below the average and legal speed of most of the other drivers around. In those cases, doing so causes congestion, issues for heavier vehicles that take longer to speed up or slow down, puts people who are driving by the law at risk, as it forces them to make bigger manoeuvres to avoid you, putting more people at risk, and normalises it, exacerbating all these issues. It’s can also make it easier to switch off to other traffic, which is not a good thing.

11 Likes

Yeah

1 Like

I’m driving in the middle lane right now

15 Likes

Prove it.

10 Likes

Touché. Have a safe trip!

2 Likes

Any updates?

It’s going really well, everyone’s happy for me

5 Likes

High fives from cars on both sides

5 Likes

Where are you now please?

1 Like

The M62

1 Like

Nobody, not even players, coaches or commentators actually understands the rules of rugby in anything other than a general sense (only throw the ball backwards, run or kick for points etc).

Referees arbitrarily award penalties throughout the game to mix things up, to exert their authority and to ensure the correct final result is reached. The perception of greater respect towards match officials than in other sports is actually nothing to do with safety or culture but rather a collective fear that arguing back would expose you as the only one not understanding what obvious rule was apparently breached. So everyone agrees it was a clear infringement whenever a penalty is given and the whole system reinforces itself.

26 Likes

Yep agreed. It’s basically Mornington Crescent but with bigger thighs

11 Likes

Exactly. Referring decisions to TMO is meant to give the impression of consistency and scrutiny, but in reality it’s just theatre no different from Derek Acorah checking first with his spirit guide Sam.

4 Likes

Shiny Happy People is the best REM song.

1 Like