Got any good cooking shortcuts/hacks?

Garlic Lurpak has made my life immeasurably better. I’ve made garlic butter the longwinded ‘proper’ way and frankly life’s too short when you can just get it in a packet. Particularly good when roasting potatoes in it. What cheats/shortcuts/hacks are you upto in the kitchen then?

3 Likes

Wet chopping board for cutting onions. Your eyes sting cause they’re wet, give the stingy particles somewhere else to go.

6 Likes

See also: rice and mashed potato

2 Likes

Yep, absolutely

What the hell is the matter with you?

15 Likes

Smash is great.

Don’t know if this is a hack as such but so many people seem to get this wrong so:

When cooking a steak:

• Get the pan/grill/bbq really bloody hot. Like max temp under the grill. Or leave the pan on full heat for a good while.
  • Oils with high smoke points are best (rapeseed is pretty good IIRC).
  • Season the shit out of it. Loads of salt and pepper. Both sides, rubbed in. Just before you cook it.

I see loads of people complaining about buying crap steaks from supermarkets (“It was too tough”) when I don’t think they’ve cooked it right and rendered the fat down properly.

6 Likes

This is less a hack more just something people should do!

1 Like

Even better rice hack; rice cooker.

4 Likes

It is, but it’s no substitute for the real thing.

Even better rice hack; put the rice in a bowl of rice. Delicious.

13 Likes

The real thing in a chilled, microwaveable package.

1 Like

Prison is too good for you.

1 Like

Real mash if somebody else is making it, Smash if I’m making it.

1 Like

It’s perfect for when you don’t want to waste 20 minutes of your life preparing a mediocre (at best) accompaniment to your meal.

Maybe worth it if you eat loads of spuds but if we buy a bag of potatoes they just end up going to waste.

1 Like

Really want to come to the North and make you some mash now.

Real mash for my real friends, smash mash for my smash friends

6 Likes

You’ll struggle to find me up there for a start.

You can do whatever you want with your mash, it will never be more than a boring preparation of a boring vegetable.

1 Like

Half a pack for halloumi, lightly fried red pepper, dump in some cous cous with dollop of pesto. Takes 15 mins or so and is a world beater. Can also add courgette, broccoli etc to that for bonus veg points.

3 Likes

Midlands is the North to me. Actual North is Scotland. Scotland is Scandinavia.

6 Likes

Slice it long ways into 4 big slabs. Holds together better that way.

1 Like