Got any switches in your abode that you don't know what they're for?

Thanks for your candour.

And here is the new shiny mystery switch.

Looking good!

It’s probably on the other side of the wall, which isn’t particularly helpful if it’s someone else’s bedroom, or behind a piece of furniture.

Surprisingly, for a new build flat, yes. In the kitchen there are 3 switches labelled ‘Washing Machine’, ‘Dishwasher’ and ‘Fridge/Freezer’. There is no dishwasher, nor is there any room to put one and, as far as I’m aware, there isn’t a socket for one either.

On a similar subject, there is a locked box (that doesn’t belong to anyone who lives here) in the cupboard under the stairs where the meters are. Might break into it before we move out to see what’s in there.

I reckon there’ll be a dishwasher in there

4 Likes

The dishwasher switch turns on ABANDON REPLY

1 Like

Yeah, two in the garage, one in the kitchen. I think the kitchen one is meant to be for the security light, but turning it off doesn’t stop it from working if it’s already on so… dunno.

I have two, a pull cord in the guest bedroom that seems to do nothing and a switch on the lower side of the chimney breast that, again doesn’t seem to do anything. Pretty sure the previous owner was an electrician though (9 plug sockets alone in the kitchen, sockets in both sheds and the cabin at the bottom of the guarden, strip lights and 8 sockets in the loft!) so they must do something!

A pullcord that does nothing is some next level shit, thanks very much for your contribution.

6 Likes

Can’t believe that you’re hoovering up likes for this

1 Like

Three isn’t “hoovering” by my exceptionally high standards. Got 58 replies on a shit banana joke once.

Further to the earlier mention…

Red = mystery switch
Blue = electric override on heated towel rails
Purple = yet another phone socket (there’s at least five of 'em in the flat)
Green = shower switch (no longer in use)
Orange = light switch for the cupboard

1 Like

update : my toaster actually has 3x buttons. 1 is cancel toasting, one is for frozen bread, I have no idea what the 3rd is

Any ideas?

BAGEL MODE!!!

that would be a cruel irony as I frequently toast bagels - but just turn down the dial a bit

Give it a go next time and see what happens

who knew it had a “go on fire” button

3 Likes

Reheat, or keep warm, probably.