Got drunk and did karaoke again last night, didn't I

Very much this.

2 Likes

Under Pressure or Common People for me

2 Likes

Yeah, obviously.

I can’t sing at all, and doing so in public is a threshold that I would never cross again. Once was enough - I don’t need to hear that kind of abuse and laughter directed at me again.

Never done it but would be up for it nowadays as I no longer give a shit about that sort of thing.

Would do Sugar Daddy by Fleetwood Mac

got a standing ovation for singing bohemian rhapsody once.

Probably best moment of my life

7 Likes

I’m far too self-conscious to ever even consider doing it

My wife never does it, ever, but she absolutely LOVES going. Imagine she’s in a minority.

All depends on whether the slight nervousness and anticipation is actually crippling-anxiety and fear innit.

As with other social activities, if it makes me feel down about my inability to enjoy it, I’m best off not participating in it.

2 Likes

Singing INability.

And people are weird, and they can be nasty, and it can play on your anxieties and self-loathing for the rest of your life.

I suspect that lots of other people feel the same way.

1 Like

Only been to a karaoke bar once. It was in Torun, Poland. There was an ongoing battle between some locals who wanted to sing traditional Polish songs and 80’s American balads, and a small group of students from Japan who only wanted to sing Barbie Girl by Aqua. The night ended with me barfing tripe soup all over someone’s front room. One of the worst nights of my life.

9 Likes

Aye, all my ones tend to be the ones people are most pushy about insisting you must enjoy as well which is always a bit galling. Karaoke definitely falls under that umbrella.

3 Likes

I just don’t go, or meet up with people before or afterwards now instead.

Most of my friends are fine with that, and none of them try to pressure me into it now.

:man_shrugging:

^definitely this.

It’s one of those things that people often think it’s okay to hassle someone about.

2 Likes

The Winner Takes It All for me, Clive

I much prefer the “private” (i.e. no randos) kind of karaoke, but will sing it anywhere. Was at a karaoke night near Waterloo, and some guy rocked up and just belted out some Andy Williams/Frank Sinatra numbers in the croonyest style, and it was amazing, and got a proper standing ovation.That was pretty great.

Only done this once. It was about three in the morning on about the the 10th floor of some Tokyo office block. I did ‘Firestarter’ by The Prodigy. It was great.

I was very, very drunk at the time…

5 Likes

Went to an amazing Karaoke both place in Budapest recently. Half a dozen damp-smelling, carpet-walled rooms in the basement of what looked from the street likea derelict building. Run by a fifty year old Japanese guy watching baseball and you had take your own bag of cans.

I sang You Suffer by Napalm Death.

Normal go-tos would be Great Balls of Fire, Dead Ringer for Love (happy to sing both parts if required) and Cube’s verses from Straight Outta Compton or Fuck tha Police.

I can sing ‘Crazy’ by Patsy Cline very well at karaoke. Haven’t done it in years though.

Did it on Friday for my birthday. An incredible amount of fun. They didn’t have my go to - it’s oh so quiet - so opted for Copacabana and Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves, the latter of which someone videoed me doing. Looked like I was enjoying it a bit too much

Lack of confidence in your singing voice, eh? We understand.