GoT NO SEASON 8 šŸš« SPOILERS šŸš« thread

iā€™ve seen hardholme about 10 times

1 Like

In fairness I do agree with you on a lot of things, that as it goes harder into the outright fantasy stuff itā€™s a lot less interesting. Iā€™ve got particular concerns about Bran seeing/affecting things through time, because introducing any kind of time-travel into something not primarily about that is normally very risky. The raising from the dead stuff causes similar problems.

The show at its most enjoyable was always about various families vying for supremacy, not Jon Snowā€™s hero quest or whatever.

9 Likes

Iā€¦agree. I mean, Iā€™m a book wanker to boot and frankly the less magic and undead stuff the better. Just give me total bastards being duplicitous and occasionally dying/redeeming themselves. And more of Jaime and Brienne.

2 Likes

was thinking tā€™other day that a major blind spot for me is how they never really show what impact, if any, all this upheaval has on ordinary people in the world. granted thereā€™s time and budget to think about but still. life seems to remain pretty much the same regardless of who is in power. is this the point theyā€™re trying to make? idk. anyway i was thinking this on the way home from work the other week. that would be an interesting point to raise in the game of thrones thread, i thought. so i have, i guess.

4 Likes

Another vote for Davidoff Cool Xylo is Right that GoT is Best When Dealing With Politics and Shit

9 Likes

They touch on that kind of thing in the Hound/Arya duo storyline (at one stage theyā€™re just going through burnt out farms or whatever after the war of the five kings, and then they have dinner with a guy and his daughter who go on about how bad their situation is), but yeah, thereā€™s not a lot of it.

4 Likes

Itā€™s more that youā€™ve presumably watched 67 episodes of it.

Oh yeah, totally fine with LOTR being the massive nerd that I am. And plenty of sub-LOTR fantasy/scifi. What sets Game of Thrones apart is supposed to be the focus on nitty-gritty squelchy REAL STUFF that happens to be set in a world where dragons and whatnot also exist.

Also, Iā€™ve never enjoyed zombies in anything. Dunno why.

1 Like

but if you think there are at one point 5 feudal armies going at it, thatā€™s some hundred years war style trauma there. weā€™re talking disease, hunger, population transfers, etc. would have been interesting to see the economic and psychological toll this has. maybe some citizens being like fuck this why do we even have kings and queens iā€™m not dying for you man. etc.

2 Likes

To be fair, in the books (and the show?), the very first scene is deliberately paranormal, an encounter with the Others, to deliberately set in motion the slow re-emergence of ā€œmagicā€ in a world that has, for the most part, long forgotten about it. The whole concept of magic and its signifiers - dragons, witches, prophecies, etc - then acts as a kind of existential threat to this society, like climate change or nuclear war, which underscores the grim pointlessness of the politicking that consumes the characters lives. I do think it works, I just find it somewhat less interesting because Iā€™m more interested in the human drama and the systems they have created.

The rivalry between magic and ā€œlogicā€ is a central subtext though - lots have been written on the theory that maesters and the efforts of the Citadel have been to deliberately purge the world of magic, and even conspire to kill off all the dragons.

10 Likes

i thought dany was heading in this direction, a bit, like she was actually going to break the wheel like she said she would, maybe become a succdem or something, but now itā€™s looking like theyā€™re gonna have her and jon try to be king and queen of westeros and tyrion being all yo wtf happened to the revolution.

pretty sure tyrion is going to turn on them both in a major, major way

2 Likes

My head canon is that the entire series of novels is an argument against the idea of feudal / capitalist systems and the tyranny of monarchy, and that any argument about who deserves the Iron Throne is missing the point. There is no one with a legitimate claim, which is borne out in several ways, because there is no such thing as a legitimate monarch. (I suspect GRRM wonā€™t end it like this though).

7 Likes

I like these words. They make a lot of sense.

I seem to have lost a little of my appetite for the GoT world for some reason; Iā€™ve read the books many times and watched the series avidly (with a @xylo-style sense of diminishing returns) but Iā€™ve been trying to do a re-read/re-watch this year andā€¦itā€™s just not biting for some reason.

Still super-excited about the new series despite that - just hope itā€™s not a cavalcade of CGI zombie dragon battles.

1 Like

Big style. Would much rather see his response to the meetings in Kingā€™s Landing last season than Cerseiā€™s.

1 Like

Didnā€™t Euron Greyjoy come back from the dead? Checkmate.

Only other instance of that kind of thing is when the mob turn on Joffrey is season two (I think), but yeah, thatā€™s done with in an episode and never really mentioned again.

1 Like

He definitely drowned and died for a few seconds.

1 Like

Thatā€™s basically the same as Dave Gahan though (who could probably play Euron, come to think of it)

@anon18868718 Some further reading on the class manipulations happening ASOIAF, and the particular flashpoint of Stannisā€™ attack on Kingā€™s Landing (different conclusions, re Varys or Littlefinger, but lots to think about)

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/9tkkr8/spoilers_extended_were_the_antler_men_renly/

2 Likes

I still think your argument is silly. Itā€™s like saying youā€™d prefer Star Wars if they never went into space. Or Batman if he never dressed as a batman.

1 Like