Government going after safe spaces

Also think the swiftest way of getting the government to reverse this is to invite a bunch of radical Islamists to speak at a few universities. They’re interested in the right of all sides to express their opinions, right up until they’re not.

Because it plays well in the press and can act as a distraction.

Because racists who might waver to UKIP are getting annoyed at being banned on their local ‘Spotted In…’ page on facebook.

Possibly, I genuinely don’t think she’s contributed much to feminist discourse for a number of years now and is more or less coasting off the strength of her earlier work.

^preferred their earlier stuff

1 Like

They’ll never take our SSP threads

1 Like

Mmm probably not, given the reason she was no platformed is she’s a stringent TERF.

There are a lot of transphobes writing for and reading the Guardian, especially amongst the anti-Corbyn lot.

2 Likes

Yeah fair point, misread what Theo was asking. Recall Greer being a cause celebre for the Guardian when it happened.

For a while, I thought the Tory attempts to attract a younger demographic.

Now you’ve said that, I’m actually a bit concerned about what it means in practice :confused:

Yeah, that’s what I meant. It feeds into that particular anti-Corbyn thing, especially given Safe Spaces are seen as the sort of thing Corbynistas want, or it feels that way.

This completely exploded on my FB page when I posted it. Weird to see some of the views but it also leads me to suspect there’s a whole slab of, I guess, unintentional TERFs who just have a very mainstream media view of feminists meaning they see any attack on Greer as anti-feminist rather than understanding the causes behind this? Or I’m just being generous to people I like. Oh well…

I think you’re being very generous to the one who said that they didn’t believe in gender.

2 Likes

Oof, that’s a status and a half!

1 Like

I’ve learned my lesson about posting just before bed time in Australia I guess! :smiley:

1 Like

The absolute human garbage fire of her “ohhh, everyone should just be what they want EXCEPT MEN WHO WANT TO BE WOMAN”, jeez louise

2 Likes

@1101010, was it you who posted about the sexist Google engineer and prompted an absolute disaster of twats to leap to his defence with evolutionary psychology?

How do you know these people?

1 Like

Yeah but this time I made sure the main offender couldn’t see this post. I mean those are old school people who I normally block.

With this one we had people who’d always seemed very sound previously (and an ex colleague who’s my mum’s age so…) so it’s a bit of a rum one

From their mutual friends, I assumed that at least one of them is an ex-DiSer, too.

You mean moker?

Facebook seems desperate for me to read that thread - it seems to be one of the top couple of things on my feed every time I log in at the moment.

He did some flouncy “I’m getting NEW ACCOUNTS” thing on Twitter and Facebook, so I’m gloriously rid of him now on both, apart from when I see him commenting on (usually Theo’s) other posts.

At the end his twitter was just him shouting at the Guardian and arguing with @marckee