Grass Is For Cows. It's The Wimbledon/Grass Season Tennis Thread. Moo!

Oh right well that’s a different matter. Yes Berrettini is a good player with a decent grass game, and he would have been favourite for this match even if Andy had been a bit sharper. But I’m not suggesting he’s ever going to routinely be beating top ten players in the future, or winning Grand Slams. But he could certainly win matches like this on a good day, and also titles like this eventually.

As I said the other day my worry was to do with his recovery. If he can’t recover from a match and play again within two days to good standard then yes he’d be finished. But there’s no evidence of that today. Overall in terms of his progress I’d say today is very encouraging. In terms of what he’s brought in terms of level of play it’s disappointing, but not a disaster, and frankly not that much of a surprise either.

Three aces every two games is quite the barrage from Berrettini. If he keeps that up he’s probably going to win this.

Kinda sadder about him missing the Olympics than Wimbledon, always enjoyed watching him play at them especially in doubles. Wonder if he’ll still be around in 2024

Not watched much of Queens but that’s an impressive run from Norrie isn’t it? Berretini looks fearsome though

meanwhile Kasatkina - Jabeur could be a really fun final in Birmingham

Halle final (Humbert - Rublev) is also going on now and Berlin (Samsonova - Bencic) starts in an hour. kinda stupid to schedule them all at nearly the same time imo

Norrie is a more enjoyable player to watch than Berrettini imo, but Berrettini is more handsome

Neither of them is exactly what you’d call a flair player are they, but they are deffo the two best players of the week so it’s fair enough. Not such a fan of Norrie’s whack-a-mole backswing on his forehand and he is really really beige in general, but props to him for what he’s doing in his career.

Even though I can sit in front of it and pretend to work I’m going to take the first week of Wimbledon off work, so I can properly enjoy it.

Just going to check if Berrettini has actually been broken this week.

[Twice in round one against Travaglia. Not been broken since.]

And Andrew Castle nicks my stat, the jumped up prick.

Here’s one for you Andrew. There have only been seven matches in this tournament that went to three sets and they were all in the first round.

Nicely done Cam. Fair dos.

trying to watch these in multiscreen
kasatkina just took an mto after scratching her own neck doing this

never seen anything like it, peak youzhny energy

1 Like

Jabeur wins, that makes her the first Arab woman to win a WTA title :slight_smile:
she seems well happy, lovely stuff. long overdue too, she’s been hanging around the top 30 for a while

1 Like

Not the ideal time for the wheels to come off.

1 Like

So in the first year since 2005 with four British players through to round two it turns out that one of them gets knocked out by one of the others and the remaining three all lose to Berrettini :smiley:

1 Like

happy that Murray’s gonna play at the Olympics

I see Norrie’s squeaked into the seedings. Wonder when GB last had two men’s seeds. Possibly when Edmund was good maybe.

I don’t think Murray was ever seeded when Edmund was.

1 Like

Yup think you’re right. No overlap. Likewise with Evans. In fact I kind of suspect even Murray and Henman were never seeded together either, in which case I guess it would be Henman and Rusedski.

Yup Murray’s first seeding was US Open 2006 when Henman and Rusedski were on the slide.

Could be quite a big deal for Norrie. The seeding gives him a fighting chance of making round 3+ without too much drama, so he could expect some Centre Court action, a bit of publicity and maybe a match against someone big. Might take a while for the GBP to take to him though.

1 Like