Great British Bake Off 2020

The big man speaks btw

Making it a race against time also feeds into the social media frenzy, when they produce something messy after being rushed to bake four sponges and then ice warm cakes and shape them into celebrity heads it just encourages people to laugh at them and say they’re clearly shit bakers, when in reality they could have made something spectacular like that tortoise if they’d been given the time and space

3 Likes

Actually the celeb heads was a bad example cos they all looked horrendous

they were all amazing, that was by far my favourite showstopper this year. should have been the final

5 Likes

Remember the year where they did illusion cakes in the very first round and they were all phenomenal and I thought that was the new standard but no, it was just that round

1 Like

You’d think when judging literally every single one of the Sussex Pond Puddings as underbaked, they’d clock that they probably didn’t give them anywhere near enough time to do it well

1 Like

and reading about the whole extreme bullying of bake off contestants is yet another one of my “if you clearly have this extreme surplus of free time, why would you not just get into eurorack you fucking scrotum” moments

2 Likes

Do you think they’re trying to bring an element of that Nailed It! show into it? Like where nothing ever goes right so everyone is encouraged to laugh at the contestants, or there’s a new OMG moment every week (only on Bake Off that’s not actually what they signed up for at all).

Bit of cognitive dissonance on socials between people rushing to defend Laura and in another breath saying Matt is the worst thing to happen to the show ever and he needs to fuck off and how dare he be presenting this etc. I know one is getting paid for being on it, but we saw with Caroline Flack and countless other late celebrities that it’s irrelevant how famous you are: if you’re getting abuse day in day out it can still fuck up your mental health.

This is simply a feature of Twitter now and people’s brains have been rewired to just fart out negative stuff constantly because it gets better engagement.

2 Likes

Possibly. As you say Nailed It is a very different scenario and the contestants always happy to laugh at themselves and it never comes across as mean spirited.

I think with GBBO it’s just the usual reality talent show thing of continually ramping up the stakes to keep viewers interested until eventually it doesn’t work anymore . Like Project Runway started off mostly concentrating on how the designers made things then just became about arguments and the judges being mean.

2 Likes

it’s so weird, I genuinely don’t think I’d bother watching something if it made me that incensed with rage. It’s just a nice show that makes me want to eat chocolate basically innit

People get really invested in it I guess, particularly when it’s such a cosy show. Having someone come in and disturb that or not quite fit into what you want from it makes people angry. Plus, as I said, Twitter is just begging for shitty moody opinions to be typed into it.

Yeah it’s terrible across so many shows, Drag Race fans routinely bully ‘villains’ (or even just anyone who beats their fave in a lip sync) off social media and it has an awful impact on them personally

It’s grotesque

1 Like

For one thing the show’s called Bake Off, but barely features bread or any other leavened product, just because of the time involved, which seems unnecessary.

1 Like

On Extra Slice last week they showed Marc’s practice version of his David Bowie head and it was very impressive. It was basically just a very (hilariously) hot week in the tent.

Definitely the weakest season I can remember with the exception of Pete I guess. Still pretty good fun and we are looking forward to the final. We have to avoid all uk media until Friday though :anguished:

Will win

• Peter
  • David
  • Laura

0 voters

Should win

• Peter
  • David
  • Laura

0 voters

Supplies:

• Chicken burgers
  • Beer
  • Sticky toffee pudding
  • Misc mini choc bars
1 Like

Eating a jam tart right now. Might go mince pie for the main event.

Not you too!

2 Likes