Great records let down by a single track?

‘Murmur’ is obviously so far ahead of anything else R.E.M did that it’s not even worthy of debate. Every time i listen to it i think it’s very nearly the perfect album, but then right in the middle the massive, unloveable turkey that is ‘Perfect Circle’.

Assuming that nobody’s going to waste their time trying to claim they released a better record, or talk about how that particular track serves a purpose, or even worse claim it as one of their personal favourites, please offer up other examples of albums that are clearly great bar one obvious mis-step.

Shoot…

I like Perfect Circle.

14 Likes

The Beach Boys - Surf’s Up

the stinker - Student Demonstration Time

The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St

the stinker - Turd on the Run

Perfect Circle seems to be one of the most popular songs on the album but it’s pretty boring

most Beatles albums are ruined by a terrible McCartney song, eg. Rubber Soul ruined by Drive My Car. at least in that case it’s the opener so you can just start from track 2.

1 Like

Les Savy Fav - Let’s Stay Friends. The first song ‘Pots & Pans’ is such a plodding joyless dirge. They should’ve cut it completely and started off with ‘The Equestrian’.

Was never a fan of Rookie of the Year from FFAF’s Casually Dressed. Always skip it straight to Bullet Theory.

Pots & Pans is really good. get out.

3 Likes

Rubber soul is pretty much the worst example. But I agree.

Still baffled by that Dog Door cover on Sparklehorse’s It’s a Wonderful Life. Thought I may grow into it but it ruins every listen.

Steve Albinis Blues on Didnt It Rain

It’s the only skipper on there imo.

Oops just realised I was actually thinking of ‘Brace Yourself’ being the joyless dirge not ‘Pots & Pans’. @Icarus-Smicarus

Brace Yourself is even better!!!

2 Likes

post can’t be empty

1 Like

‘Maxwell’s Silver Hammer’ is by far the worst offender in this category.

9 Likes

The Baby Song on Flip Your Wig. Absolutely horrible.

1 Like

Wake Up! by The Boo Radleys is let down by Wake Up Boo. Otherwise an excellent album.

1 Like

always skip student demonstration time. Sad because otherwise it’s a great record.

@Icarus-Smicarus
ugh Glass onion on White album fucks me off, just so bland, and that fucking honey song mccartney does on the 4th side. Just abysmal

I’ll respectuflly disagree with @CeeJay, the real stinker on Abbey Road is Oh Darling. Abs shite. I actually really like Maxwell

was gonna use When I’m 64 but thought people would start complaining about all of Sgt Pepper, as usual. that song is fucking terrible though.

people will think Revolver’s entry is Yellow Submarine but it’s not. it’s Good Day Sunshine.